• Apeks XTX50 + XTX40 Octopus

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Scubapro MK17 Evo/G260 + R195 Octopus

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Scubapro MK17 Evo/C370 + R095 Octopus

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dannysporea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

New diver here, trying to put together my first equipment and, after a lot of research, I've narrowed it down to a few regulators packages that fit my budget:

- Aqualung Core Supreme Regulator and Octopus
- Aqualung Mikron and Octopus
- Apeks XTX50 + XTX40 Octopus
- Scubapro MK17 Evo/G260 + R195 Octopus
- Scubapro MK17 Evo/C370 + R095 Octopus

I'm trying to find out pros and cons of these, as I'd like to choose the one that breathes the best, is most durable and reliable, and has less maintenance costs over its life...

Thanks a lot!

Dunno about the comparative maintenance costs but these will be insignificant compared to what you will invest in diving anyway. Apeks XTX50 is a very good regulator with a solid reputation. It is important though that you can get it serviced. I have also an XTX100 and feel no difference.

A lot of variation in your choices, much depends on what type of diving you want to do, a regulator is a tool that should be tailored to the job after all. Can you expand on that.

Yeah, first question is will you ever do cold water diving or not? (Below 50F)
If so, at least the Mikron does not belong on your list, I am not familiar with the Scubapro lineup.

A lot of variation in your choices, much depends on what type of diving you want to do, a regulator is a tool that should be tailored to the job after all. Can you expand on that.

I'm not sure quite yet what direction I will go, that's why I am looking for something versatile and durable that could be used in multiple conditions. I will be doing some local quarry diving, but mostly warm water at recreational depths, and maybe grow into some deeper wreck diving.

What caused you to pick those?

Mostly budget and features, I could get each of these packages around the same price. I like the idea of balanced diaphragm vs piston and also these seem to keep their value better in case I would need to sell them for any reason.

Yeah, first question is will you ever do cold water diving or not? (Below 50F)
If so, at least the Mikron does not belong on your list, I am not familiar with the Scubapro lineup.

Most likely not below 50F and won't do cold water or drysuit diving anytime soon.

I'm not sure quite yet what direction I will go, that's why I am looking for something versatile and durable that could be used in multiple conditions. I will be doing some local quarry diving, but mostly warm water at recreational depths, and maybe grow into some deeper wreck diving.

Mostly budget and features, I could get each of these packages around the same price. I like the idea of balanced diaphragm vs piston and also these seem to keep their value better in case I would need to sell them for any reason.

Never used the AL but you can’t go wrong with the Scubapro or Apeks regs, all 3 are solid and versatile regs, although all 3 are on the high side of cost for both initial cost and maintenance. If you want to spend less until you figure out what you want to do you could get something like:

DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Streamlined OW Reg Package | Dive Gear Express®

Which is a very solid package that can grow with you but does not come with the support network of Scubapro, which can get serviced pretty much anywhere in the world.

All are first rate. Comparative advantages may be with the type of diving you expect to be doing. For example, Aqualung and Scuba Pro have worldwide dealer networks and almost all of their gear can be serviced locally or internationally. Apeks is the technical diving section of Aqualung, I assume that their equipment can be serviced in most if not all the same places that service Aqualung, but I would also check ahead with service in the area where you plan to travel beforehand, just to be on the safe side. If weight is a primary concern [either as airline baggage or while using the gear, a Mikron is nice to have as it is small and light]. The Scuba Pro Mk 17 / G260 is also a very reliable, excellent all around performer. I would say that for tropical diving all the given choices are very good ones, if diving in cold water, I would go with the Aqualung Core Supreme, or Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom