AKONA Collapsing Mesh bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver below 83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I recently picked this up and am really happy with it. I couldn’t find many reviews online about the bag in general and the ones I did find seemed to be the older version. There have been 3 generations made so far. This is the newest version with reinforced areas and stronger straps and zippers. It also now adds internal straps to hold the regulator sets in place.
Comes with 2 shoulder straps, one for just the regulator bag and a second longer wider strap for when you extend the whole mesh bag. The mesh handles have Velcro as well to make it one handle to carry.
I loaded up the bag with all my gear (no bcd or wetsuit) and it held the weight fine. I could easily add a bcd and wetsuit and still have space and it would easily handle the weight as well. I would NOT carry lead weights in the bag. I’d get a dedicated weight bag for that. But I also don’t travel with weights.
Onto the pics.

Attachments

• C1EC8CDC-1602-4A14-9942-D80761926553.jpeg
    C1EC8CDC-1602-4A14-9942-D80761926553.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 422
  • 6B1C315B-4681-4F18-A836-A9E7D569E7BC.jpeg
    6B1C315B-4681-4F18-A836-A9E7D569E7BC.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 382
  • 8F3BDA07-CE42-4F7C-9861-02CD8E6372D7.jpeg
    8F3BDA07-CE42-4F7C-9861-02CD8E6372D7.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 374
  • E43241B3-6EE8-49EE-AE8A-35077EB55414.jpeg
    E43241B3-6EE8-49EE-AE8A-35077EB55414.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 424
  • 73DA6E47-5617-475F-9F4B-AC96995B9F7E.jpeg
    73DA6E47-5617-475F-9F4B-AC96995B9F7E.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 423
Not sure what you mean by soft or hard. Do you mean how much you need to pull them to open? The zippers are very secure. The teeth are plastic to help combat any corrosion from salt water.

Akona has long earned a rep for making great bags. My Akona mesh bag is more than 10 yrs old, getting a little ratty but its carried my gear for hundreds of dives and it's not showing any sign of giving up.

While on the subject of collapsible Akona bags, does anyone have any experience with this bag at all?

COLLAPSING DELUXE MESH BACKPACK - AKB237 | Product

I like how it collapses down but there aren't really any pics of it anywhere. I want to see what the back looks like with the backpack like straps (I'm assuming). It also is 5600 or so cu inches, whereas a lot of the other larger bags are 7000 to 8000 cu inches, so I'm wondering how much stuff fits in it.

It's odd how little information about it I can find online.

While on the subject of collapsible Akona bags, does anyone have any experience with this bag at all?
COLLAPSING DELUXE MESH BACKPACK - AKB237 | Product

I just bought one of these and think it is the best value in bags I have purchased (~$55 online). Used it on Saturday for a beach dive -- carried 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, boots, fins (RK3), towel, mask, spare mask, snorkel, and rescue mask with a bit of room to spare inside. Had dry box and snacks in outer pocket. It has a full-length pocket down the back on the inside that keeps clothing/towel dry from mesh main pocket. The bottom is reversible -- you can collapse the whole bag into a disk for storage, and when in use the bottom pocket can hold wet stuff (like 3mm wetsuit, boots, towel, etc...) separate. Shoulder straps are comfortable and adjustable and include a sternum strap. Excellent build quality. I am going to buy a second one for my DB.

I actually ended up purchasing one myself and think it's fantastic. I like it a lot especially how it collapses into itself for travel purposes.

I fit my fins, BP, wing, booties, weight belt, snorkel, and mask in the main compartment and yeah it was more than enough room. I put my computer in the outer pocket. I was carrying my wetsuit in my hands since I had it just draped over my arm.

The only negative I have about it is the little clip that holds the draw string tight isn't strong at all, and as soon as I lift it up to put it on my back, it loosens the draw strings. But it's not a deal breaker or anything, just kind of annoying that it's not as tight as I wish it is.

I actually ended up purchasing one myself and think it's fantastic. I like it a lot especially how it collapses into itself for travel purposes.

I fit my fins, BP, wing, booties, weight belt, snorkel, and mask in the main compartment and yeah it was more than enough room. I put my computer in the outer pocket. I was carrying my wetsuit in my hands since I had it just draped over my arm.

The only negative I have about it is the little clip that holds the draw string tight isn't strong at all, and as soon as I lift it up to put it on my back, it loosens the draw strings. But it's not a deal breaker or anything, just kind of annoying that it's not as tight as I wish it is.

Tie a simple knot in the string after you've tightened it.

old thread but I'm Trying to decide between a couple of Akona mesh bags(like their bags). I like carrying a backpack, but like the ease of getting things into and out of a duffle. Also like the PVC coated mesh, but not sure they collapse down as tight as the non-pvc ones for packing and traveling.
  1. Akona Mesh Backpack Bag (on Sale)
  2. Akona Huron DX Dlx Mesh Backpack
  3. Akona Caspian DX Deluxe Mesh Duffel

Attachments

• akona-huron-dx-dlx-mesh-backpack.jpg
    akona-huron-dx-dlx-mesh-backpack.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 114
This is a significant update to the Mares bag that I bought 30 years ago and still use today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom