Importance of back kick in Cave Diving?

How much importance do you add to back-kick in a cave training program?

• This is a precision diving skill that student should have BEFORE they even consider cave training

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • New cave student should be familiar with the technique. Mastery he will develop with real experience

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • I would not give a Full Cave certification unless a student demonstrated total mastery of this skill

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • No need! There are too many other more important skills than this one.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I needed the back kick to get through cavern, and although I could sort-of do it, it was pretty ugly. The first day of Intro to cave (different instructor) I was tasked to park my nose about a foot above a line, and back kick 15-20 feet along the line, keeping my nose right over the line, then do a helicopter turn in each direction, then back kick to the original position. I've ended up practicing that drill about a hundred times since. It's very useful. I use the back kick several times on every cave dive; tie-offs, S-drills, navigation points, etc. I can't imagine trying to competently dive in caves without a reliable, efficient ability to back kick.

Hope you don't mind- after 6 pages- me chiming in here since I'm not an instructor or an experienced cave diver. In fact, I just started my IANTD Essentials course today. Trying a true back kick (compared to the improvised version I've always done) was really hard, and I can see how important it is to get. This thread is super motivational to keep at it, despite my struggles and feeling like a total beginner when attempting them. Can't wait to get back at it tomorrow and flail some more. Thanks for the great thread.

Hope you don't mind- after 6 pages- me chiming in here since I'm not an instructor or an experienced cave diver. In fact, I just started my IANTD Essentials course today. Trying a true back kick (compared to the improvised version I've always done) was really hard, and I can see how important it is to get. This thread is super motivational to keep at it, despite my struggles and feeling like a total beginner when attempting them. Can't wait to get back at it tomorrow and flail some more. Thanks for the great thread.
it is hard for all of us at first. But in practice and time, it comes naturally. Sometimes when I lead a site I know well and I'm guiding fairly new divers, I just go backwards. You'll get there. Don't get discouraged as it isn't easy, but then it will come together and you'll have such a huge smile on your face, water leaks around your reg into your mouth. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom