Types of kicking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah this one was sort of using the fins as sails pivoting at the ankles

full.jpg

hey like a sailboard windsurfer thing, makes sense to me

"Improve Your Diving with These 8 Types of Kicks
by The Diving Info Experts | Jun 17, 2018 | Diving Skills, Let's Dive In"

Not so sure about the expert part, Flippers jesus wept.

The part about some italian divers dying in a cave as they silted it up? If you cant find your way out of a cave/any enclosed space with zero viz then you shouldn't be in there in the first place regardless of your finning technique.

I do use the dolphin kick more than I'd like to admit though, doesnt make me feel like I'm a mermaid at all......

I do use the dolphin kick more than I'd like to admit though, doesnt make me feel like I'm a mermaid at all......

That's 'cause you ain't wearing a monofin. And a skimpy bikini top.

I have no idea why anyone would use what they call a modified flutter - moving the entire leg but with a bent knee
Some cavers will switch to this to rest from the frog kick. I rarely use it, and never in very silty passages. I will sometime do a modified dolphin kick, which brings my heels up and as high as they will go towards my butt, and then let the fin tips bite as I slowly push back. I use this when I am in a narrow passage, pull and glide are not appropriate and only for a minute or two. The bent knee scull is far easier and more effective.

Flutter and dolphin are only efficient if you can do them whole leg/whole body. Their bent-knee variants work, but nowhere near as well as bent-knee frog.

I’ve had issues with getting frog kick down, so I do some flavor of modified flutter quite often. Keeps my feet up with our silty bottoms. It’s very comfortable for me. But we all know I’m weird, so I’ll just leave it at that. :D

I use the modified flutter for a break now and then, or if I need a little speed to catch a wayward buddy in the Red Sea.

It was the article's version of the modified flutter I have no idea about when anyone would use it: "Bend your legs up at the knees, keeping your flippers elevated. Use the same primary kick stroke, only make the motion shorter. You’ll move less from the hip and more with your fins."

It's hard to tell with the way it's written in that article, but the DIR versions of flutter and modified flutter kicks are power kicks used for bursts of speed, like against a current. Take a look at this very helpful video by @johnkendall for very clear demonstrations:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom