Boca Grande dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am interested in diving off of Boca Grande never been there and want to dive off the beach can
Here are some pics from the bottom of the pass.

Attachments

• ph-10047.jpg
    ph-10047.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 77
  • ph-10048.jpg
    ph-10048.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 65
  • ph-10051.jpg
    ph-10051.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 68
Wow. Old thread.

I have dove a few spots off of Boca Grande.

Red Rock reef can be a fun dive, but needs planning and care. I wouldn't dive it after April, due to the large amount of big sharks in Boca Grande pass in the summer, and it's kinda hard to catch decent vis during the winter. It is a nice reef, though. If you stand at the lighthouse, look due west, and you'll hopefully see the shadow of the reef about 150 yards offshore. If you don't see the shadow, don't bother as the vis is too poor. The reef extends from west of the lighthouse south (towards the pass) for maybe 50 or 100 yards. Depth is maybe 15', and you can expect a decent current running north-south (but nothing wild, a knot or two).

I've also done Boca Grande pass several times. A really fun, intense dive, but impossible without tons of support (including LE and FWC). And if you start seeing lots of Tarpon, it's time to get out :). March is the best time to try for this. I wouldn't be caught in the pass after April.

Never done the Phosphate docks.

Any of the beaches toward the north end of the Island should be fine to dive, I'd just stay clear of any of the passes and their vicinity, due to very strong current. Having done it, it's an intense experience flying through the pass in a 6 knot current in 10' of vis, dodging toilets.

Unless I'm specifically up for adventure (and care to do the homework), I would just stick with Venice beach. This is definitely not an area to solo dive, either.

the only problem with Venice beach right now is the high bacteria levels there. I am interested in diving where that lighthouse is. Heard it was nice would love to check out a new area to dive, and have never dove down towards Boca. Debbie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom