Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Similarly, if you go head up and then back to near horizontal, you can end up with air more towards the front of the BCD, making it feel like it wants to hold you head up.

Or, if you go head down then back to near horizontal, you can end up feeling like your feet want to float because the air is in the BCD more towards your feet.

In either case, sometimes you might have to go what FEELS like past horizontal in the other direction to make the air move around a bit.

First, let's be clear. @tridacna noted that you can't SEE the update without removing the wing. Don't be distracted by that. You don't need to SEE it to know if it's there. As tridacna also noted, if you just pull gently on the wing on one side, if it does not have the update, it will pull away from the back plate and the opposite side of the wing will be pulled towards the back plate. If it DOES have the update, when you pull on one side, the other side will not move.

Second, I think any wing - even a wing on a Back Plate and Wing rig, will let you create problems for yourself if you don't demonstrate some basic competency with using it. When you are in horizontal trim, the air cell on ANY BCD is going to float up at the sides and duck down under the tank at the front/top and rear/bottom.

That means that air cannot move freely from one side to the other. When you are horizontal, air is not going to shift from one side of the wing to the other by running down to pass under the tank. Air in your BCD is always going to go to the highest point.

So, if you do a barrel roll, or just roll to one side and back, or put air in your BCD while you are rolled slightly to one side or the other, you can end up with more air in one side of your BCD than the other. It's not going to balance out until and unless you do something like go vertical, to get it all to the top of the wing and let it balance itself from side to side.

That's a very good point

Just saying: Methinks you guys are putting too much air in the bladder.

Agreed, must be overweighted.

+1 to too much air in bladder.

Experienced the unbalanced bladder issue before when I was 8lb over weighted. No issue after I realized I was over weighted...

If I were buying one of these new, I would want the newer design. If SP offered a free fix, I would get the fix. That said, if I had enough air in the wing for this issue to make any difference to me while diving, I would be bobbing on the surface like a cork. I don't understand how anyone is diving with sufficient air in the bladder to for this to actually matter. No offense to anyone, but if you are diving with enough weight that the bladder is that inflated, there are bigger issues to be dealt with than whether the elastic straps can get lopsided, at least for typical warm water diving.

But, I do understand wanting to have the poorly thought-out design remedied, in principle.

I actually did the DIY fix before I ever dove the rig. It seemed prudent to fix a possible problem before it ever occurred. In the 10 dives I've done with it since,there have been no problems.

Received my HydrosPro from Leisurepro today. Old bungee system.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom