Mystic Connecticut Dive Regulations.... Save me from the gallows please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay Whitehair

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at metal detecting the Mystic river... any laws concerning historical items? Diving in nav channels in the morning? Please enlighten me before I have to post for bail.
Thanks!

Shipwreck Salvage Laws

"Around the U.S., it is unlawful to dive for and keep any discovered salvage within a 3 mile distance from the coastline."

OH NO!

Jay I guess to get any responses I'll have to keep putting out bogus information. Seems like instead of coming forward and informing you they'd rather correct somebody.

The USCG has drones that video divers coming out of CT waters and use HI tech to "look" what is in your bag.

Most states have a State Historic Preservation Office, as does CT. For reliable information on artifact collecting anywhere in the state I would suggest you contact them. We are talking Connecticut here, correct? The site linked above, BUAR, seems to reference Massachusetts.

Back in the 60s a dive shop I sometimes visited had a few human bones in a display case, including part of a skull. These had been collected from a German submarine. I thought it was very creepy, but those guys were some tough rowdy desperados and did whatever they wanted. I guess things have changed a little.

Back in the 60s a dive shop I sometimes visited had a few human bones in a display case, including part of a skull. These had been collected from a German submarine. I thought it was very creepy, but those guys were some tough rowdy desperados and did whatever they wanted. I guess things have changed a little.

Probably the U853 off of Block Island. Germany protested about diving on the sub as it is a war grave. The USN and USCG tried securing the sub but both ends fore and aft are open, they eventually gave up. I've never taken anything off the sub. There are artifacts in the sand around the sub. I friend of mine found a German Navy brass whistle in the sand a few years ago. Long ago someone put bones in the galley's oven. Very low class IOM.

I've dove in the river before. There are a few ink wells and bottles down there. We typically dive there during the winter due to summer boat traffic.

Thats for the replies everyone. I live in Vermont and most of my diving has been New England inland freshwater. I'm planning to get down to the coast soon. My intentions are to dive harbors and anchorages just for drops (as I call them). Specifically junk from the old whaling and shipping days. I would argue (with integrity) that it is rubbish cleanup day and that this crap has nothing to do with shipwrecks. No mass grave sites involved here, no looting. Just me and my metal detectors spending stupid hours hiding from my wife, under my dingy, arousing suspicion off the docks and mooring fields.

Any more advice on how to avoid prison time is welcome.

Sail on!

jw

@AfterDark - I just lined my goodie bag with tinfoil to screen my loot from the USCG drones. Thanks for the heads up Brosef!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom