What is the secret to neatly winding a reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Been diving with a finger spool for a number years and was just recently given a Beaver Puffin reel....nothing fancy but hey it was a gift.

I took all the line off to ensure the end was secure to the reel, and cut some line off because there was too much line on the spool.

I am finding it difficult to get the line to wind nice and even in a bobbin like manner. Is there a technique or secret to smoothly winding line back on to a reel?

-Z

I liken it to a fishing reel - I use my thumb to push the line where I want it. So there needs to be slight tension on the line and use your thumb like a bobbin to push the line back and forth. So you need two hands which can be a pain - one to crank and one to feed or push the line with the thumb.
If I am in a hurry I just wind the line on the reel and fix it later - if I am not in a hurry I use two hands and try to keep the line neat...

@Basking Ridge Diver is right about the tension. And as he suggested, it's tricky because you ideally need three hands. Alternatively, you can step on the line and use your foot to maintain a bit of tension. Then you've got two hands free to crank and guide.

this^
I thred the line through my big toe and use to regulate tension and thentwo hands on the reel: one to hold it and feed the line where I want is and the other to spin it.

... Is there a technique or secret to smoothly winding line back on to a reel?..
Like @Basking Ridge Diver , @fsardone & @RyanT said above the tension on the line makes it easier. But that can need a 3rd hand almost. When underwater to get that 3rd hand leverage, I'll clip off that type of reel to a D-ring while winding it. That provides enough extra stability to help your other hand to provide the line tension and routing

Reactions: Zef
Thanks all for the advice. Before posting I was holding the reel in one hand, winding with the other and at first used my foot to provide some tension on the line, I even tried laying out the line in the garden around some trees and put tension on the line by pulling it taught by the reel and then walking forward while winding.

After reading the advice you all posted I pooled the line at my feet while sitting on the back steps of the house, and I used my body to hold the reel (between stomache and thighs), this freed up my hands so I could apply tension and direct the line back and forth while winding with the other hand....SUCCESS!!!

Winding 40 meters of line was a bit slow and cumbersome but it all now properly fits. It would totally suck to wind the larger version of this reel which holds 80m of line.

Thanks again for the great spot on advice.
:cheers:
-Z

Winding 40 meters of line was a bit slow and cumbersome but it all now properly fits. It would totally suck to wind the larger version of this reel which holds 80m of line.

Thanks again for the great spot on advice.
:cheers:
-Z
Next: try will a cave primary reel 200-400 mt!
:wink:

For tension leave the line in a tub of water and have it go over a round metal rod (shower curtain rod works great :) )
Best way to do it is with a drill or some other spining tool on very slow speed, you use one hand on the tool and the other to hold the spool in place, use your thumbs to guide the rope neatly up and down. I advise that at the start you wind more on the sides so the middle is free for the last few meters (the ones you use the most.

Watch out to not add to much tension as the rope can bit into itself and be hard to spinn off once you send a DSMB from depth.

Reactions: Zef
Step 1: Loop your line to a tree or your front door
Step 2: Run down the street, doing tie offs on your neighbors mailboxes every 20ft
Step 3: Reel back in with tension
Step 4: Smile and wave at the neighbors!

Seriously though, I went back and forth between my back door and a shrubbery to allow me to reel back in with tension. The embarrassment is well worth the alternative of trying to tension the reel with all the line pooled at your feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom