Ultimate Dive Truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks nice and it will surely appeal to a good number of folks. The standard beater served us well - not sure I'd spend the extra but you never know. The locking bins are a definite appeal though I wonder if the locals will feel obligated to take up the challenge it will present. AFA the aluminum bed - hope you've thought through how that will be attached to the frame. Electrolysis between steel & aluminum isn't a pretty thing. Great stuff overall and GL with your new adventure

Excellent thought and.....Absolutely have thought the detail of how it attaches to the frame out thoroughly.
My father was a welder for over 35 years and he definitely had some input on that part of the process.
We have bushings (heavy duty rubber) that separate the steel from the aluminum so they do not touch for this very reason.

Secure boxes:
Certainly, nothing is infallible and comes with risk (re: lock boxes).....we can't guarantee that it will never be broken into. What we can guarantee is that it would take a well prepared person a long time to do so (dual reinforced with key entry). Most of the crime here is crime of opportunity (quick smash and grab) we feel this is a great solution for the average 45-60 minute dive.

Thanks for the well wishes ...

First there are a lot of houses and villas on Bonaire for rent and the only reason to visit the island is diving. Best guess, there is a market for upscale dive trucks.

That being said, driving one around is advertising you are not the normal bear. One of Murphy's Laws of Combat is "don't look important, the enemy may be low on ammunition". Bonaire is a case where you have a lot of money in diving tourism and minimal primary employment on the island. There is the question of insurance and who is responsible vandalism damage.

From my seat, I prefer to stay in the weeds and do my best to not be noticed. If damage liability wasn't an issue, I would certainly take a look at your truck.

I agree with @drifwood
"From my seat, I prefer to stay in the weeds and do my best to not be noticed. "
or as we say in our home "play in the mud"

We are visiting a foreign country with out the protection of the American Laws, but under the laws of a foreign nation which may or may not be compatible to US laws.

Blending is the word...

Blend in to the local community and it no way bring attention to real or imagined wealth.
A specialized custom dive truck would be an advertisement of wealth and current or future diving activities. Even though it has lockable compartments it must be recognized the occupants will be diving underwater and the truck will be unsecured for at least an hour, affording ample time opportunity for vandalism.

Since it is a dedicated "Dive truck" I question where are the universally recognized red & white dive flags? - Recalling many moons ago from a college class ": Success= Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise !

Hopefully you will apply flag (s) remember the often ignored size proportions 5 W x 4 H with I unit Stripe

Cheers and good luck from California - where it all began

Dr. Sam Miller

Your website is up and running!

Love the idea but I question your pickup and drop off times. To get one full diving day's use out of your rental, you have to rent it for two days.

Might be part of your plan and $750 for a week seems reasonable.

Lot of other problems with the security features.

What's with the pickup and drop off times? That would be a deal breaker for me, and along with it not being a full four door truck. I'll stick with a beat up Hilux.

To me, the ultimate diving truck would be a big conversion Van. Instant changing room.
I agree: The New Scuba Wagon... 2016 350 Transit XLT

3p1HugorRnia2uZzk4PWgsMwDfRcWzJyR7qPkSxVoIxUrA1zTgE8ZZA6XsKsg025lxRUxPR0ttNp6JH3M=w2335-h1750-no.jpg

I would suggest the ultimate test: attending DEMA running it up a flag pole and see if any one salutes it

1960 -1970 WV van

You could buy a new Mercedes Sprinter for what most 60s VW vans sell for. I paid $10k for this one
-PAXP-deijE.gif
-PAXP-deijE.gif
and it's a resto project.

Attachments

• 65 vw van.jpg
    65 vw van.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 118
We recently moved to Bonaire from Colorado, USA.
And, since Bonaire is the shore diving capital. After diving out of the back of a Hilux for a week, we couldn't help but decide that there had to be a better way....and The Ultimate Dive Truck was invented (patent pending).

Needless to say, we like order, quality and efficiency when it comes to our diving experience. You can see this final prototype at Ultimate Dive Trucks on Facebook. This will be a luxury rental vehicle for divers that want a truly Ultimate Shore Diving Experience. www.UltimateDiveTrucks.com

Reservations begin July 7th, 2019.

Truck Features:
F150
12 Upright Tank Storage
2 Ultra Secure Locking Compartments (wallets, camera's etc)
On board shower with pump
On board cooler for food/beverages
A/C & Automatic Transmission
4 Separate dive set up stations around exterior perimeter of the truck bed using roll control tank holders.
up to 4 bins provided for dive gear storage in truck bed

Eventually, we will have a fleet and it is our sincere hope to provide a great contribution to the dive industry.
View attachment 526356View attachment 526357

UDTB...

Nice...but...if it was in North America...if the AL box was extended up to truck cab height/with locking doors...if it was to be used by LDS owner/trusted shop staff only...if the truck was 4x4...and able to tow the shop dive boat/trailer...if it was a full crew cab and not a cramped club cab...it would serve its purpose well...last a long time...and most importantly ''pay for itself''

You're talking about hot beach tourists...beating the s**t out of it on a daily basis...sand/dirt...torn upholstry...food garbage...condoms/tampons...the mess ''smoking materials'' leave behind...side mirrors torn off...all kinds of interesting things dumped in the shower sump...no local service/maintenance/parts...totally out of sight shipping costs...

All above are worst case...just don't expect more...and if you charge a high rental rate...with lots of restrictions...the truck will sit...if you think people will care because it's shiny and new...your dreaming in hi-def...

Not to rain on your parade further...but I can only think of how much money this adventure will cost you...money that you will never see a return on...and if you think for a minute your cabinets are thief proof...fuggetaboutitt...God gave us crow bars expressly for these type of cabinets...the soft aluminium is no match for a steel pry bar...this ''shiny box'' truck is a thief magnet...you may as well letter the truck...''Rolex Watch Delivery''

This is only ''scuba diving''...

If you're a ''Molly Maid''...you don't need a Rolls Royce to haul around a vacuum cleaner...especially if it's someone elses vacuum cleaner...

W...

I thought that my '95 Toyota Tacoma was the Ultimate SCUBA/Kayak Truck!
E1AA7285-DD48-4DA3-B64D-04360B9B02EA.jpeg

Best of luck with your new endeavor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom