Considering Halcyon Traveler, but concerned about wing size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoRust

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to get a backplate/wing system for tropical diving. I am leaning towards either the Halcyon Traveler, or the xDeep Ghost.

Re: the Halcyon :
I am 5'7". My LDS had a Traveler BC with the standard backplate. It felt pretty good, but they did not have a small backplate to compare. Does anyone know what is the recommendation for diver height with each backplate? I can't find that info on the Halcyon site.

The Traveler comes with a wing that is rated at 30# of lift. Since I only dive tropical waters, 30# of lift seems to be a lot. I am concerned that air will form pockets that might put me off-balance.

Re: the Ghost :
Looks really nice, and reviews on this forum seem to be very positive in general. But I can't find one in my area. Has anyone compared these two BC's side-by-side?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

30# will be fine. You'll be able to reach back and feel how much air is there and anymore than a fistful or so at your safety stop is too much. I would just go for an Eclipse with an aluminum plate instead though, and you could get a 20# wing with that if you wanted. For an increase of a couple of pounds of weight you would gain a much more flexible system.

I'm 5'7" too, and the regular plate is fine, but I do have shorter legs, so a little longer torso.

For plate size, your height can really go both ways, or depends on your individual need. I am 5'6", I prefer small plate because it allows tank to sit lower, prevent 1st stage hitting my head. But my wife is 5'5", she has no issue with regular size plate. If you tried it and feel comfortable, it is all it matters. BTW, I don't think traveler has smaller plate option.

As for wing size, doesn't ghost come with 17kg wing? That is 37lb. If smaller wing is your preference, between the two traveler is smaller.

For weight, xdeep definitely has advantages, but the difference is less than 1lb, I don't think it should play in a decision factor.

Neither the Traveler or the Traveler Pro have a small plate size option. The Pro will allow for a 20# Eclipse, but costs as much as the regular Eclipse set-up.

For plate size, your height can really go both ways, or depends on your individual need. I am 5'6", I prefer small plate because it allows tank to sit lower, prevent 1st stage hitting my head. But my wife is 5'5", she has no issue with regular size plate. If you tried it and feel comfortable, it is all it matters. BTW, I don't think traveler has smaller plate option.

As for wing size, doesn't ghost come with 17kg wing? That is 37lb. If smaller wing is your preference, between the two traveler is smaller.

For weight, xdeep definitely has advantages, but the difference is less than 1lb, I don't think it should play in a decision factor.
You are absolutely correct - the Ghost is rated at 17 kilo/34 pound lift. Somehow I had not noticed that - probably because in the videos it doesn't look like it has much "flop". Guess the two BC's are pretty comparable on that front, then.

Wrong thread

Wrong thread.

Back
Top Bottom