Solo diving in Coz....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D I posted about on another thread that was moved to the "jokes" section because one or more moderators did not believe that I forgot my weights and used 2 boat anchors to stay down.

This is why I always bring along a couple of bungee cords, just in case :wink: I'd laugh but I've been seen diving carrying around a big rock.

This is why I always bring along a couple of bungee cords, just in case :wink: I'd laugh but I've been seen diving carrying around a big rock.

My plan on that dive was to use the extra boat anchor to get to the bottom and hopefully find something else to use. As I worked my way forward carrying both boat anchors I first came across a good sized mussel which I tossed in my BCD pocket as if it would make any difference. Next I came upon a cinder block half buried in the sand. I don't know why but I grabbed onto it and tried pulling it out of the sand of course it didn't budge. It was almost like the scuba gods were laughing and saying "So you wanted some extra weight, here's some for ya, buddy!"

Speaking for myself, most of my dives are solo, I prefer it for the most part, I got the SDI solo certification over 10 years ago and I always carry the appropriate additional gear. My last dive was 3 days ago, solo, in less than 2 feet of visibility in the Long Island Sound off my own boat which I posted about on another thread that was moved to the "jokes" section because one or more moderators did not believe that I forgot my weights and used 2 boat anchors to stay down.

Well, I would say that the fact that you have a "solo certification" doesn't give me much comfort if you were diving by yourself in 2 foot visibility, forgot your weights, and were using boat anchors to say down. I'd feel better if you didn't have the solo certification, but recognized that sometimes the conditions are not conducive for diving, and that if you forgot your weights, you did not in fact have "the appropriate additional gear." And I would also say that in the circumstances that you described, I would be worried for any buddy who was with you.

Part of the problem with solo diving on Cozumel is that we are not allowed to dive in the marine park without a qualified DM so it could only apply to areas outside of the park.

What popular shore dive sites are within the marine park? I don't know of any shore dive sites within the marine park that have facilities that will rent you and your buddy tanks so this is a complete non-factor, imo.

Before I started diving I snorkeled with a rock. I would find one the right size to make me neutral and tie a light line to it with a small styrofoam float on the other end. Rock on the bottom, float on the surface. I would swim over to the float, haul up the rock, and dive to the bottom, swimming along carrying the rock. When I needed to come up for air, I would just drop the rock.

Well, I would say that the fact that you have a "solo certification" doesn't give me much comfort if you were diving by yourself in 2 foot visibility, forgot your weights, and were using boat anchors to say down. I'd feel better if you didn't have the solo certification, but recognized that sometimes the conditions are not conducive for diving, and that if you forgot your weights, you did not in fact have "the appropriate additional gear." And I would also say that in the circumstances that you described, I would be worried for any buddy who was with you.

A couple things in your post caught my attention because my solo diving is similar to Caruso's. Diving in Texas, our vis in lakes is usually very low, and I solo dive in those conditions because I don't want to keep up with a buddy who is barely visible for most of the dive. I've also grabbed a rock or two when, for whatever reason, my weighting wasn't adequate. Also not a good situation with a buddy, and it's safer to be solo. Grabbing weight where you can find it is resourceful, IMHO. Caruso worked through the situation without panicking, and successfully completed a dive, which is what counts. In some ways these conditions are similar to tech diving, and tech divers frequently do not have buddies because they need to concentrate on THEIR diving, and not be distracted by keeping up with a buddy, too. YMMV :)

Before I started diving I snorkeled with a rock. I would find one the right size to make me neutral and tie a light line to it with a small styrofoam float on the other end. Rock on the bottom, float on the surface. I would swim over to the float, haul up the rock, and dive to the bottom, swimming along carrying the rock. When I needed to come up for air, I would just drop the rock.

Gordon, you are OLD school :)

A couple things in your post caught my attention because my solo diving is similar to Caruso's. Diving in Texas, our vis in lakes is usually very low, and I solo dive in those conditions because I don't want to keep up with a buddy who is barely visible for most of the dive. I've also grabbed a rock or two when, for whatever reason, my weighting wasn't adequate. Also not a good situation with a buddy, and it's safer to be solo. Grabbing weight where you can find it is resourceful, IMHO. Caruso worked through the situation without panicking, and successfully completed a dive, which is what counts. In some ways these conditions are similar to tech diving, and tech divers frequently do not have buddies because they need to concentrate on THEIR diving, and not be distracted by keeping up with a buddy, too. YMMV :)

Fair enough on the visibility point. I’m not sure that I agree on the rock thing though. If you are still underweighted at depth, to the point that you are grabbing rocks, you were really seriously underweighted to begin with, right? How did you get down in the first place? And why not just do a buoyancy check at the surface and adjust weight accordingly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom