Drifted for 8 hours - Pensacola Pass, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a valid point, however I disagree.

MY experience, which may differ from your, is in diving in what would be considered a the very least "challenging" currents, some might say extreme.

I use a pre rigged crack bottle dsmb, probably the fastest deployment you can get - I think your 15 seconds is "ambitious". Nevertheless. Whether you deploy at the bottom, or near the surface, the deployment time is the same.

The sooner you get your marker to the surface the sooner the boat not only has a chance of seeing you, but also can establish your drift. One your marker is at the surface, then you can easily make your ascent - perhaps at a slightly slower and "more relaxed" pace, and make a stop if you wish (our views on this again may differ due to differing experiences).

If your making your ascent without your dsmb, what's to say you and the boat still aren't getting further apart? They have no way of knowing you're on the way up?

For a practical experience standpoint (as opposed to hypotheticals) the last time I departed a reef in current, (about 4 months ago) it took around 10 - 13 minm to get to the surface from 25m - we were hindered on the way up with an annoying down current, and we all (3 of us) took our precautionary SS* of 5mins. By the time we surfaced we were nearly 1 mile off teh reef - with our chase boat waiting for us, having followed our drift.

* We always make stops (unless it's a really shallow bounce, which this dive hadn't been), because we dive in an extremely remote location and the nearest chamber is 8 - 12 hrs away PLB's are no use (if you could register them anyway) in my area - you rely upon making yourself seen by the pick up boat

Are you able to show a photo of your pre rigged etc dSmb, please?

I agree

On the other hand for a 35-dive diver 1) someone should have been watching and staying with him more closely 2) he did pretty damn good

1)I completely agree. Honestly, I'm surprised there are not more diving fatalities every year, especially in the newly certified.

2)Did he do pretty damn good or get pretty damn lucky? I think both. He obviously did some things right. He DID surface (eventually). He DID remain afloat, so I assume he "fully inflated his BCD at the surface". He DID deploy his SMB. But, if not for Capt Andy on Niuhi dive charters taking it upon himself to figure out his likely position, look for him, and locate him, he'd likely still be out there somewhere. Many times the best we can hope for is to live long enough to learn from our mistakes. I think this incident provides ample learning opportunities for many and plenty of reminders for everyone else.

In the end, he made it, and I'm glad he did.

Sounds like his buddies and whoever was manning the boat let him down big time. His dive buddy (and himself) should have surfaced much earlier (not 13-15 min into the dive); but even then it sounds that he wasn't that far from the boat, and had they paid any attention, they should have seen him and his safety sausage.

We discussed about having Marine VHF radio in waterproof case would be good to have in addition to PLB & PAB

Can you register a portable marine VHF radio without a boat? Nautilus was forced to discontinue their waterproof radio because boaters didn't want divers having them. I never really understood this decision. I'm just glad that I have one.

Can you register a portable marine VHF radio without a boat? Nautilus was forced to discontinue their waterproof radio because boaters didn't want divers having them. I never really understood this decision. I'm just glad that I have one.
You don't have to get an MMSI for a marine radio. The radio function will work but the "emergency" digitally linked GPS button wont work without it.

Sounds like his buddies and whoever was manning the boat let him down big time. His dive buddy (and himself) should have surfaced much earlier (not 13-15 min into the dive); but even then it sounds that he wasn't that far from the boat, and had they paid any attention, they should have seen him and his safety sausage.

Yea I'm going with this ^^
No buddies, coming up to report him missing. grrr
Plus skipper distracted, always looking the wrong way. grrr
Plus skipper not skilled enough to figure out which way he would have drifted (with only an hour of drifting) to do exactly what Capt Andy did hours later. grrrr

Things he could have done better:
Surface sooner, skip the safety stop
Stay on the bottom and shoot his SMB so he wouldn't drift before it got seen
Carry a radio/PLB/AIS locator for offshore dives. I think this is a bit of a stretch for a 35dive diver to invest in

Since having a similar experience off of Boyton Beach, I always carry a signal mirror. I just coincidentally started carrying one before that dive. We would have been floating for hours otherwise.

The op might have been able to signal the many people looking for him.

Good question. I don’t have one so I don’t know the answer. This link describes what Marine VHF radio that you can use without a license: Ship Radio Stations

This forum describes ways to get MMSI without a boat: Getting MMSI for handheld without a boat - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

My solution is to get me a Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS.

First post here, very new to the board and just getting certified, but I'm watching this discussion very closely.

I've been boating in the GOM for many years and never have seen a license application for my marine radios. I've had safety inspections and the Federal Fish Police and Coasties never asked for one.

First post here, very new to the board and just getting certified, but I'm watching this discussion very closely.

I've been boating in the GOM for many years and never have seen a license application for my marine radios. I've had safety inspections and the Federal Fish Police and Coasties never asked for one.

Did you have MMSI for it?

Back
Top Bottom