New Diver! Recommendations Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Everyone!

I recently got my PADI Open Water certification. I am a college student in Ohio and was looking for some recommendations for dive trips to the Florida Keys and Caribbean. I am looking to plan a trip sometime at the end of the year and wanted to see where I should try and get to!

I have been looking at some dive resorts/ shops in the keys, as well as trying to get to Bimini, Bahamas.

Also, any logistic/ travel help and tips (ie. getting places inexpensively) would help greatly!

Thank you!

You asked about Florida and I think that is a good place to start; here is a Key Largo Florida dive report from @drrich2 that you might find helpful:

Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html

And if you post your questions in the Florida forum at the link below, you should get a range of responses. Are you planning on traveling this summer, that is usually a nice time of year in Florida for diving.
Florida

I am always surprised when someone recommends Cozumel to a brand new diver. Everybody is different and my husband didn't have any problems with strong currents and drift dives but I did. I float like a cork so it was hard for me to stay in control and maintain buoyancy. I eventually mastered it and came to love Cozumel but I wouldn't recommend Coz to a newly certified diver.

I'm also not sure about Bonaire because divers are often on their own when diving Bonaire and you didn't say if you will be traveling with a dive buddy? The diving is usually easy on Bonaire, close to shore and calm - and it is hard to get lost - but you might need to be a bit more experienced before being more independent when diving.

Personally, I think that moored boat diving with a divemaster would be best for a new diver, but like I said, everyone is different.

One other question, do you have a passport? You will need one to travel outside of the US and they can take some time to arrive after applying.

Congrats! and welcome.

Cozumel hands down. I did my first real scuba trip there and had a blast. Although I did get a personal dive guide who was super helpful in improving my buoyancy skills and showing me the different marine life. Great people and awesome food was a plus (Blue Angel).

Have been to the majority of the popular Caribbean islands but have not dived at all. I would personally rank Bonaire and Curacao as the best for new divers. Why? Easy shore diving/beach access, good boat diving, top notch animal and reef life - at least by Caribbean standards, lots of dive shops and hence choices. I found (not scientific) that Bonaire has the lowest diving cost of the Islands that I have visited. Congratulations on your certification. Now the fun starts. :bounce:

For a new diver, getting a bunch of dives in fairly benign conditions done can be a good way to go. Some good options that come to mind are Bonaire (or Curacao) with a lot of shore diving, CocoView Resort in Roatan for a mix of boat and (large house reef with a wreck) shore diving, Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan (seems to be a popular value option with a good number of dives - all boat, no shore), the upper Florida Keys (e.g.: Key Largo, all boat diving), Cayman Brac Beach Resort or Little Cayman Beach Resort (pricey but strongly endorsed on the forum) or a live-aboard (when you're ready to commit to a week on a large boat).

You're looking at going the end of the year or thereabouts? Check the weather for some places, both for water temp.s and likelihood of betting 'blown out' by rough seas. Bonaire and Curacao are below the hurricane belt and warm water all year; unlikely to cancel your diving from rough seas.

I'm assuming all you want to do is dive. If you're bent on a sandy beach, Bonaire and Key Largo might not be your thing.

Loved Cozumel, but drift diving isn't for everyone, and wracking up a higher dive count can take a good chunk out of your day, and maybe out of you. I did it when I went, but be aware.

I linked you some resources in my post.

Bonaire is 'simpler' than Curacao, and the coast-hugging road makes getting dive site-to-dive site fast and easy. For shore diving, which is what it's famous for, I highly recommend going with a group your first time, especially if travel outside the U.S. is fairly new to you. And stay at a resort with a good house reef - Sand Dollar Condo.s, Buddy Dive Resort, etc...

I associate 'college student' with 'budget minded.' Be aware that land-based resorts often charge a single supplement if you don't have a room mate, but you can often join a group. Live-aboards often have no such charge, if you're willing to be paired with a same sex room mate.

Off the cuff, I'm wondering if you might want to join some group trip to Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan, or (if they have openings and you are willing to pay more, but potentially wrack up more dives) - CocoView Resort in Roatan. I haven't gotten to dive Roatan, but you'll find no shortage of trip reports on ScubaBoard to help pave the way.

For a new diver, getting a bunch of dives in fairly benign conditions done can be a good way to go. Some good options that come to mind are Bonaire (or Curacao) with a lot of shore diving, CocoView Resort in Roatan for a mix of boat and (large house reef with a wreck) shore diving, Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan (seems to be a popular value option with a good number of dives - all boat, no shore), the upper Florida Keys (e.g.: Key Largo, all boat diving), Cayman Brac Beach Resort or Little Cayman Beach Resort (pricey but strongly endorsed on the forum) or a live-aboard (when you're ready to commit to a week on a large boat).

You're looking at going the end of the year or thereabouts? Check the weather for some places, both for water temp.s and likelihood of betting 'blown out' by rough seas. Bonaire and Curacao are below the hurricane belt and warm water all year; unlikely to cancel your diving from rough seas.

I'm assuming all you want to do is dive. If you're bent on a sandy beach, Bonaire and Key Largo might not be your thing.

Loved Cozumel, but drift diving isn't for everyone, and wracking up a higher dive count can take a good chunk out of your day, and maybe out of you. I did it when I went, but be aware.

I linked you some resources in my post.

Bonaire is 'simpler' than Curacao, and the coast-hugging road makes getting dive site-to-dive site fast and easy. For shore diving, which is what it's famous for, I highly recommend going with a group your first time, especially if travel outside the U.S. is fairly new to you. And stay at a resort with a good house reef - Sand Dollar Condo.s, Buddy Dive Resort, etc...

I associate 'college student' with 'budget minded.' Be aware that land-based resorts often charge a single supplement if you don't have a room mate, but you can often join a group. Live-aboards often have no such charge, if you're willing to be paired with a same sex room mate.

Off the cuff, I'm wondering if you might want to join some group trip to Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan, or (if they have openings and you are willing to pay more, but potentially wrack up more dives) - CocoView Resort in Roatan. I haven't gotten to dive Roatan, but you'll find no shortage of trip reports on ScubaBoard to help pave the way.

I think that going with a group - wherever you go - is a great idea for a new diver, especially if you are a new diver traveling without a buddy. And if a local dive shop is offering a trip that would work for the OP then he might make some local friends that may be interested in joining him on future trips.

Whenever someone is looking for cheap diving in Florida, Bahamas, or Caribbean, I tend to think of Blackbeard's liveaboard - but there usually isn't a divemaster in the water with you on BBs - so that wouldn't be great for a new diver.

Got an e-mail from Maduro.com today:

"> Turquoise Bay Resort, Roatan, Honduras - Select Summer Weeks $799 and Select Fall Weeks $699 .. 7 Nights, All Meals, House Drinks, 18 Boat Dives ++ "

From their website just now:

"
TURQUOISE BAY DIVE & BEACH RESORT HOT WEEKS ROATAN HONDURAS
Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort , Roatan / Bay Islands
Hot Week!

7 Nights accommodations, Round Trip Airport Transfers, Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (Buffet or A La Carte Depending on Occupancy), Afternoon Snack and Unlimited Soft Drinks, Domestic Liquor, Cocktails and Beer, 3 Boat Dives Daily Including 1 Night Boat Dive per Week, Wreck, Caverns and Wall Dives, Free Wi-Fi and Use of Non-Motorized Water Sports Including Kayaks and Stand Up Paddle Boards, Horseback Riding and Botanical Tour (19% Honduras Government Tax Not Included)

Prices:
$699 (Double Occupancy)
$878 (Single Occupancy)
Travel Periods:
Oct. 05 – 12, 2019
Nov. 09 – 16, 2019
Nov. 16 – 23, 2019
Nov. 30 – Dec. 07, 2019
Dec. 07 – 14, 2019
Dec. 14 – 21, 2019"

Airfare's not gonna be cheap, but I doubt you need to rent a vehicle or pay to eat out. Plan around a 10-15% tip, and be aware some destinations do (and some don't) include taxes in their package rate, and taxes in some places can be very high. So clarify that fast, before you fall in love with a 'cheap' package rate.

Be aware to factor airfare into total trip cost. In my trip reports I've been putting in most all my expenses - airfare, baggage fees (thank you for 2 free checked bags, Southwest!), airport parking, etc... Flying to Roatan is generally more expensive than Key Largo, but in Key Largo I'd rent a vehicle for the week and pay to eat out.

Another travel tip; dive resorts and live-aboards often price with a pair (land-based) or single (live-aboard) in mind, but traditional hotels charge mainly by the room. So if 4 people willing to share 2 beds don't mind packing into one room in Key Largo, and sharing the one vehicle (albeit likely an expensive SUV rental due to all the baggage they need to move), that can get costs down.

Thank you so much everyone for the replies! I'm looking into some trips to the keys, Cozumel, and Roatan (I've never even heard of Roatan before!)

What is your approximate budget and will you be traveling solo or with a dive buddy?
Most likely traveling solo. Budget-wise i'm not too sure yet, but probably in the ball park of a $1000-2000 or less for the trip.

You asked about Florida and I think that is a good place to start; here is a Key Largo Florida dive report from @drrich2 that you might find helpful:

Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html

And if you post your questions in the Florida forum at the link below, you should get a range of responses. Are you planning on traveling this summer, that is usually a nice time of year in Florida for diving.
Florida

I am always surprised when someone recommends Cozumel to a brand new diver. Everybody is different and my husband didn't have any problems with strong currents and drift dives but I did. I float like a cork so it was hard for me to stay in control and maintain buoyancy. I eventually mastered it and came to love Cozumel but I wouldn't recommend Coz to a newly certified diver.

I'm also not sure about Bonaire because divers are often on their own when diving Bonaire and you didn't say if you will be traveling with a dive buddy? The diving is usually easy on Bonaire, close to shore and calm - and it is hard to get lost - but you might need to be a bit more experienced before being more independent when diving.

Personally, I think that moored boat diving with a divemaster would be best for a new diver, but like I said, everyone is different.

One other question, do you have a passport? You will need one to travel outside of the US and they can take some time to arrive after applying.

I do have a passport. I've been to the Caribbean for vacation a few times but never dove there. I likely will be traveling solo as well. Time-Wise, I was looking to go around December-January when I'm out of class for winter break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom