Palau Liveaboard Recommendations *Need Advice*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllanHarr

Contributor
Reaction score
Planning a dive trip to Palau next year. I'd like to do a live aboard, although that is not a must do. Any opinions and experience on live aboard operators?? Any and all comments are appreciated from NON COMMERCIAL interests.... Thanks!

We've done the Palau Aggressor, great boat and trip, but way back in 2005 so my info is dated. More recently Ocean Hunter 3 in 2015 - happy with that trip too, and we were in one of the large top deck cabins which was very nice. Only thing I recall not liking about that boat was the dining room was quite cramped and getting in and out from many spots at the tables was a chore. You see that sometimes but this was about the tightest we've run into.

I was onboard the Rock Island Aggressor last month. She was in good repair and well equipped. The catamaran configuration was spacious and all guest areas are on or above the weather deck. Food was outstanding, better than I had during the two weeks ashore. Cabins were clean and comfortable. The crew was helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable.

As near as I can tell, all LOBs dive off smaller tenders (twin outboard open boats with seating and canopies) -- which makes senses given the amount of drift dives and very shallow reef. The stern lifts on the Aggressor boats are really nice compared to transferring on and off a tender floating off the swim step. I was told that the Aggressor boats installed all the moorings at dive sites -- they have hydraulic power packs and drills. As a result, none of the day boats or the Aggressor's need to anchor. I would say about half of the dives on that trip were live-boating.

For the most part, all the day boats dive the same locations and off very similar boats. The big difference is very few day boats are there for your first and last dives of the day (too early or late for them). It can be a real mob scene on most midday dives due to the large number of boats -- off a LOB or dayboat.

All diving operations that I saw in Palau are pretty strictly guided (hearded), which is not something I enjoy. I understand why, but I don't like it. In that way it isn't much different than any other recreational diving area in the tropics worldwide except for some operators in Truk or hiring a private boat.

I was on the Palau Siren a couple of months ago. No complaints at all. Very good crew.

I was on a loose leash and was at times on my own out of sight of my dive group. I am solo certified and was diving with all the recommended redundancies. However, on the current dives everyone was asked to follow the guides closely.

Reactions: CZS
I was on the Palau Aggressor back in September. Great trip, I'd like to go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom