Looking for a Roommate for a trip to Cozumel in August 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at staying at Suites Bahia if money is a concern. You can usually get an inside room for under $45 including taxes and fees. The breakfast buffet at Casa Mexicana is included. The rooms also have a microwave and fridge. The inside rooms are quite but they do not have a place to dry out a wetsuit.

You guys are highly inspirational. I think I will go Solo this time. I've been looking casually for a roommate for about 6 weeks.
I go alone since my home buddy quit diving, then since died. Even when he went with me, we liked separate rooms rather than snoring competitions. Honestly, the older I get the more difficult I am to share a room with anyway.

I will look at Casa Mexicana and see if that will work for me. Money is a little concern but not too much.
It's a nice place with a great breakfast included, and their sister hotels with the same breakfast are good. I've stayed at Hotel Mary Carmen for $35-40 a night the last few trips, and their smaller breakfast is enough for me.

If I had a choice between A) sharing a room and staying at a nicer resort, or B) staying solo at a more basic resort; I would emphatically choose B. Too many uncertain variables such as sleep schedules, bodily noises and levels of cleanliness. I met a solo diver staying at Hotel Mary Carmen, and although basic, she was a repeat customer. You can find a range of accommodations on Airbnb. Some units are shared baths, others are luxury.
Good for you, branching out and taking a solo vacation. I used to live in the bay area and know the logistics are not terribly easy getting to/from Cozumel. You don't want to ruin your serenity with a roommate who springs up ever couple of minutes and asks "whacha doin'?" Keep us posted on what you end up booking:)

80% of my dive trips are solo. Stay downtown. If money is an issue, find a cheap airbnb. There are lots. Hang out at bars like Cerveceria Punta Sur, Los Otates and A&D. You will meet a lot of other divers.

Yeah, I think if Lee22 if stays in town and heads out and about after dive hours he will find lots of dive couples and solo divers to hang with. Probably there will be other solo divers on the boat of the dive op he chooses. In the evenings in town, who the heck is left roaming around and downing some ice cold Sol's after the cruise ships leave? Mostly locals and divers.

I always enjoyed my solo dive trips to Coz before I bought a house there and retired. But then, I value my solitude and peacefulness. If I meet other people to hang with, great. If not, that's great too. My brother says that people who aren't comfortable being alone is because they don't like the company they are keeping.

You guys are highly inspirational. I think I will go Solo this time. I've been looking casually for a roommate for about 6 weeks.
I very much enjoy diving and the solitude it affords from the hustle and bustle of big city life. Maybe going Solo will add to that a little bit more.

Do you know what is really cool about the upstairs part of the Casa Cozamil restaurant? There is only one hammock! Makes a great place to doze off after their lunch special.

I'm solo diving in sep mid. Is casa Mexicana authentic Mexican food? I love authentic spicy Mexican(even without spicy). That could prompt me to stay at their hotel or sister hotels. Else I'll pick Mary carmen as don suggests!

Since i don't drink, i hunt authentic local foods when traveling.

Else I'll pick Mary carmen as don suggests!
Me? Did I suggest Mary Carmen? I like it, but the beds are hard like many in Coz, and the hot water is iffy. The courtyard turtles are the stars.

Casa Mexicana is probably a better buy for August & September. I'm paying $38/night at MC plus $4/day for a light breakfast that suits me, but CM is only $49/night with huge breakfast buffet included. Close competition at least. Their sister hotels are $39 & $44 with the same free breakfast if you don't mind the hike. I don't know if CM serves other meals.

The variety of great & economical food in town is so wide that I wouldn't chose a hotel based on in house dinners. I hit Caribe Burger often for lunch for their outstanding $1 tacos just around the corner from MC, and their is a lovely, little Italian place open until 5pm weekdays I am sure I'll hit twice in a week, but there are dozens and dozens of others.

Thx Don... yes i referred to you.

So if i stay in town all bf, dinner places are walkable? Anything 20 min walk is ok by me!

In that case I'll look for any good hotel in san miguel. Mof I'll keep CM as a reference point!

Thx Don... yes i referred to you.
Well, I like Mary Carmen, but not really recommending it. Different folks have different preferences.

So if i stay in town all bf, dinner places are walkable? Anything 20 min walk is ok by me!

In that case I'll look for any good hotel in san miguel. Mof I'll keep CM as a reference point!
bf? Yes, depending how much of a walker you are. I'm an old coot with a bad knee so ½ a mile is as as far as I'll hike. Google maps says that my favorite Italian place La cucina italiana is only 0.4 miles from Mary Carmen or an 8 minute walk, while I'd allow myself 30 mintues to stroll over there. A 20 minute walk according to Google would be a mile I suppose, which seems to cover all of downtown.

Back
Top Bottom