PADI AOW+ certs and depth rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That makes sense, even though we tend to call that a c-card. I don't think there are any written standards directing an instructor to verify scuba training status before issuing an EAN card. PADI may also want to avoid a scenario where their name is on a scuba "certification" card but not a single dive has occurred within a PADI course. Wouldn't be surprised if cards like Fish ID and Aware also contain that language.

edit: You can see their list of certification versus specialty versus experience courses with the drop down at this link.
PADI Course Catalog | PADI

Wreck and Aow has the same verbage in the mailer.

"Padi validation card"
And a box directly under it says "This is NOT a certification card"

"Padi validation card"

"Padi validation card"
Perhaps it simply means the mailer itself is not a certification card.

For what it's worth (2 centavos) I only have one PADI card and it's a Coral Reef Conservation card and it says: "This diver has satisfactorily met the standards for this certification level as set forth by PADI" so I guess they are assuming I'm already certified otherwise I would not have been qualified to take this course. Maybe. And by "level" they seem to indicate a higher level but I see it as more of a lateral direction. BTW this card is only about 8 months old and it's been in my wallet the whole time and the photo of me is fading away.
You do not need any kind of diving certification to take Coral Reef Conservation. There are no prerequisites.

I don't have the mailer anymore, but my nitrox and DM cards use the word "qualification" and the nitrox card later uses "certification level.".

not that my opinion carrys any weight but when it comes to nitrox at any level. there may be other things like fed regs that may say that only those CERTICFIED MAY .................. Perhaps that is why certification in on those cards. I have always thought the c card was certificeiton card. It could mean completion card as far as I know. I would suspect that in a court completion and cetification could have completely different meanings such as certified profecient and and certified as completed. one says they did it and the other says they did it right.

I have to say I love this thread, so many terms and contradictions that all have the markings of a lawyers pen on them. I love stuff like:
1. Standards say no training below 40 ft.
2. Recommended depth limit 60 ft
3. You will dive no deeper than training provided or experience
4. The OW card is good to 130 ft

#1 says the trainer can teach and cert to levels beyond the traiing environment and or content
#2 says because of the skills taught you dont go past 60
#3 says #2 is invalid because of #1
#4 says #3 is moot

Is it any wonder that boats allow a new OW that has not been deeper than 25 ft in class, or ever, is doing ocean dives to 100 ft or more ? #4 rules

1. Standards say no training below 40 ft.
This is not correct. OW training max depth is 60 ft.
The rest of you post is therefore moot.

For dive 3 (second day) I planned to take the students to 38m
Interesting. When I did my CMAS3 cert this spring, I learned that our instructors aren't allowed to take their students below 30m. So our deco training dives were simulated, keeping our true depth less than 30m.

There was some joking about escaping the instructor by going deeper than that...

I don't have the mailer anymore, but my nitrox and DM cards use the word "qualification" and the nitrox card later uses "certification level.".
Some certs (of those I know, PADI OW, CMAS 1*, PADI DM, CMAS 3*, PADI and CMAS EAN) are ISO compliant. Holding one of those certs is an indication that you have the qualifications required to fulfil the relevant ISO standard. Others (e.g. PADI AOW, CMAS 2*) aren't ISO compliant and only satisfy the agency's standards for that cert.

That may be an explanation for the "qualification" vs "certification level" conundrum.

This is not correct. OW training max depth is 60 ft.
The rest of you post is therefore moot.
Context is not provided, so I think you might both be both right and wrong, depending on what was left unsaid. In terms of PADI OW training dives, excluding Junior divers I believe the skills portion of the dive is limited to 40 feet, although the tour portion can go to 60. That is off the top of my head, but pretty sure correct.

Context is not provided, so I think you might both be both right and wrong, depending on what was left unsaid. In terms of PADI OW training dives, excluding Junior divers I believe the skills portion of the dive is limited to 40 feet, although the tour portion can go to 60. That is off the top of my head, but pretty sure correct.
upload_2019-7-2_15-48-5.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom