Belize incident....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my goodness! What a horrible story. My heart goes out to his family.

Was this off Ambergris Caye?

It appears so. I read the ABC report, the linked AP report and the linked Roanoke Times report. Although AC's never mentioned, everything seems to be connected to San Pedro.

Tragic.

Unfortunately, like many other Third World countries, Belize doesn't have much of a police force so these crimes are rarely solved. I'm pretty sure that the murder of a reporter from Chicago that happened at a Belmopan resort a couple of years ago was never solved either. (Just checked and confirmed.)

The San Pedro Sun writes, "They were both gunned down on Sunday, June 23rd, while on a fly-fishing trip at sea on the leeward side of Ambergris Caye."

Tour guide Mario Graniel and Dr. Gary Swank shot and killed at sea - The San Pedro Sun

(Edit) Belize sounds kinda scary. "These recent murders on the island mark the seventh for 2019 and account for 10% of the total murders (70) in the country so far. The US Department of State has officially released a Level 2 Travel Advisory for Belize, due to ‘violent crime,’ such as sexual, assault, home invasions, armed robberies, and murder."

:( Heartbreaking, my beautiful home away from home.

I feel so deeply for the family.

This incident defies explanation.

Most if not all of the others are drug related.

:( Heartbreaking, my beautiful home away from home.

I feel so deeply for the family.

This incident defies explanation.

Most if not all of the others are drug related.

What an absolute shame.

We just "discovered" Ambergris and planning our return trip.

The back story will be the key.

Well, I've been to Belize many times and have always found it to be very safe--once you get out of Belize City. Even there, if you stick to the main streets and, more importantly only in daylight, it's relatively safe. Outside of Belize City, especially the further south you go the safer it is. And AC had enjoyed a reputation for being very safe also.

This time it appears that the doctor just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught up in the middle of a dispute between locals. It certainly doesn't sound like he was the target.

The vast majority of murders in Belize occur in Belize City and are committed by young Belizean men killing other young Belizean men and, as Chilly said, are usually drug related. What's more, many of them go unsolved and the few that are solved often don't result in convictions due to lack of witness cooperation. Every time I go, there are several stories in the local newspapers about the government dismissing murder charges because witnesses didn't show for trial.

Still, this is definitely disturbing.

The Richmond news is reporting that there was a shooting at the guides house as well. The belief is that the doc was collateral damage. The target was the guide.

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom