Rockport meeting on requiring dive permits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From Dan Sprague on Facebook-

In the off chance that this hasn't been seen yet, the Bay State Council of Divers is having their monthly meeting tonight, and the main topic is the permit issue in Rockport. You can find more info here:
Bay State Council of Divers

The text I pasted in post #7 of this thread I missed pasting the name, but it was
Whitney Boyle. Perhaps contacting her at Undersea Divers, Danvers MA would be a place to start. I have no idea if she is the ringleader, or if there even is one. (I don't know any of these people, just passing along what I happened to see for those not on the Facebook group.)

I don't have any more info. Minutes from last Bay State Council of Divers meeting http://baystatecouncil.org/files/minutes/BSC Meeting 2019-05-29.pdf mention a 6/19 meeting to discuss. It appears on their calendar but there are no there are no minutes posted for that as of yet.

Someplace in there it talks about the rule in question having been on the books for some time, but not enforced in the past.

This is nonsense.
I do appreciate then considering in my suggestion of $2.00 bills to demonstrate the economic impact of divers on the community,

I am NOT impressed that the powers who are considering this local issue and have not contacted DEMA and PADI, Inc for financial support and legal guidance. Both dive organizations are well funded and staffed or have on retainer very knowledgeable experienced legal teams who should have been alerted and gone in to action at the first sign that the city was requiring a "Divers License."

If the city prevails and it appears as if they will be successful, expect other beach and diving communities to follow in requiring a permit or license to participate in diving.

Sam Miller, 111

Rockport is a beautiful little town with some great NE diving but it has been the most unfriendly diver location I've ever encountered. I 1st started diving there in the 1980's and nothing has changed attitude wise among the people of Rockport, yet.

@AfterDark

I can not comment on or do I have knowledge of Rockport.

I do know and I am alarmed that the divers of that community are facing a very determined local government who is in the process and will possibly be successful in creating much more restrictive eastern version of the Southern California Laguna Beach city dive ordinance.

If passed, and current indications are it will pass into becoming a city ordinance that generates additional funds for the city by taxing diving activities.

Once in place and successful other diving communities will attempt and probably pass diving restrictive ordinances which will migrate north and south and east and west.

I am the only living survivor of the Battle of Laguna beach which occurred almost 60 years ago. And what a battle it was, ! The city officials were determined to eliminate all diving activities with in the city limits. After numerous meetings the city fathers accepted that diving could be conducted if divers had amd used the required safety equipment of fins, mask & snorkel which identifies a skin diver, and with tank & regulator and flotation as a SCUBA diver. In addition no diving classes before 7:00 AM and after 10:AM and no night diving after 10:00 PM. It was deemed reasonable and acceptable by the city fathers and the then infant diving community.

I have made a successful contact with the local Rockport dive shop on numerous occasions and sent and unanswered e mail to the local dive council president offering advice based on my ancient but effective experience on combating city hall.

In summary I suspect that the Rockport ordinance to pass as a income producing tax and with in a diving generation some sort of a diving tax will be in place in many maybe all diving locations

Thanks for starting my week off with a RANT

SAM

@Damselfish
@The Chairman
@drbill "Sure glad our ocean off California is public access. " FYI so am I
@BikerBecca FYI Monterey also has a dive ordinance -- Check it out
Thanks to the Asturis Brothers & Norcal council if divers very little effect on diving

@Marie13 CE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom