Looking for a good dive light that can be used on land

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used my DGX 800 light dry many times without issue. They state it can be used on land.

Diving LED Lights | Dive Gear Express®

Another vote for the DGX 800. I use mine for lighting up coyotes on the hill behind our house all the time. I can definitely discourage them from sticking around. Never had a problem with overheating, but I don’t run it for 20 min continuous, either.

I’m planning to buy the “video” (wide beam) version this week to go with a GoPro. Solid light, good quality and seems very reliable.

But a better land only version might be the Anker “Bolder” LC 90 - it’s at least as bright and has adjustable focus. I prefer it now for coyote patrol.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Tactic...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MCEDY48S557AKMJQFKM8

This.

It's a laudable goal to have one light serve all needs, but there are compromises and IMHO it just isn't worth it. Heat dissipation has already been mentioned. Another is the user interface. Dive lights with twist on/off, magnetic switches, or even those long-travel tail clickies like the one DGX model sort of suck on land compared to the usual rubber/silicon covered tail click.. Plus, dive lights are often heavier (though the weight is not where you'd want it to be in a heat sink).

Dive lights also require extra care for o-rings and lack convenience features of a decent 18650 powered flashlight, like super low modes or the ability to charge from a micro-USB. If you're in and out of that thing on a regular basis to charge batteries used up on dog walks, you're more likely to damage a ring and flood it the next time you dive.

My vote is a pair of 18650 powered lights, one for the dog one for the fish. The economizing is the form of using the same batteries and you can get good ones that can be used for either light. Klarus XT11, DGX600, a few Panasonic 3400 mah cells and you're good to go.

^^This - common batteries is a win, and I treat my dive lights better than the “around the house" lights. Here’s what I found in my desk drawer:
DGX800, Anker LC90 Bolder, LA Police Gear Operator L1, THRUNITE 2AV3 and a Surefire G2X.

The DGX was the most expensive, and the one I’d dread losing. It’s a twist to switch. The Anker Bolder can light up coyotes at 40-50 yds enough to scare them away, I can see them up to 70-80 yards away. The L1 is almost as good. The DGX and Anker use the same batteries (18650), and the LA Police Gear and SureFire use CR123s. All but the DGX and SureFire have multiple brightness modes, and some will strobe, which has advantages. The Anker will actually properly Morse out S O S in one mode. Other than the DGX, they all have tail cap switches. Other than water proof, they’re all “better” and less expensive lights.

So yeah, you can use that dive light on land, but it’s not the best choice unless you’re really trying to only have one light.

IMG_20190624_211908.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom