Anyone with experience on the Mares XR BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the difference between this and Scubapro Xtek?

What is the difference between this and Scubapro Xtek?
The model name and the manufacturer. I doubt That anyone would notice a difference in a blind test.

I bought them mares XR Red Devil I'd over that once and I can tell you the non cushioning is not an issue it's quite comfortable very very streamline the I'm concerned about durability as my instructor who bought one before me the reason why I bought it he had a problem with his where the outer lining around the bladder ripped the nylon covering ripped after 9 Dives.

Now questions I've always had about it is can you side mount with the thing the answer is probably but I wouldn't want to now that I'm side not certified ... now I don't remember if it has four rings steel rings on the hip like a proper side not setup should my BCD happens to be in Florida with my dad and I live in New York so I'll check that out next time I'm there but I would think you'd make a great self-reliant dive set up it's very comfortable.

Also I think the straps are much easier to work with than saying razor sidemount BCD OMG that thing as hell to work with the straps on the Red Devil move much easier for adjustment purposes

I don't have one but an instructor from our local shop has. It is a well used setup, obviously he's been using it for long time. When I asked him how it is he replied: "Fantastic!". The wing looks really streamlined. I couldn't believe it was over 30lb lift. He also sports two of the Mares agir harpa loop knockoffs and he says they work very well. The camo and the cutoffs in the plate... well... de gustibus non disputandum est.

I have the red devil. Its a great lightweight and compact rig. 17lbs of lift is fine for most recreational diving. I did have an issue with the waist buckle getting depressions in the hinge fittings and started slipping on the webbing. I now have a stainless steel buckle but all other original pieces. For extra led you would need to use a weight belt or buy weight pockets. It is comfortable enough to wear without padding of any sort. The compact size makes it nice for travel but not as nice as a soft plate set up. Ive used mine on about 80 dives and other than the buckle issue, everything is in good shape with minimal wear.

According to FedEx my Mares Red Devil is actually arriving tomorrow and I will dive with it next weekend so I'll share my thoughts. However, @LakeHickoryScuba did seem to do a very good job.
Where did you purchase your Red Devil? I'm in the US looking to find one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom