Master Scuba Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
There are a couple of articles in the current edition of Alert Diver that describe people’s experience with a masters scuba diver course. I didn’t know there was such a thing; I thought the master scuba diver rating was given based on completing a bunch of other courses. What is this course?

There are a couple of articles in the current edition of Alert Diver that describe people’s experience with a masters scuba diver course. I didn’t know there was such a thing; I thought the master scuba diver rating was given based on completing a bunch of other courses. What is this course?
You are correct if referring to the PADI Master Scuba Diver. Other agencies may differ.

Which one?

NAUI Master Scuba Diver. There are several threads on here about it.

What articles in Alert Diver? The Spring issue with dolphins on the cover?

Theres an article about a student on a "master scuba diver course" who ran out of air.

The lady forgot to swap out her half empty tank and didn't realise she was low on air until it stopped flowing. Obviously gas management wasn't part of that particular "master diver" curriculum....

PADI Master Scuba Diver:
Must have completed 50 dives, AOW and Rescue Diver.
Complete 5 PADI Specialties or TecRec courses (not just adventure dives for AOW)
Complete the Master Scuba Diver Application

Also someone where someone was questioning whether his instructor's dive plan skirted too close to the line.

PADI Master Scuba Diver:
Must have completed 50 dives, AOW and Rescue Diver.
Complete 5 PADI Specialties or TecRec courses (not just adventure dives for AOW)
Complete the Master Scuba Diver Application

This seems to be identical to the SSI Master diver - 50 dives, 4 specialties of your choice, Stress & Rescue. SSI requires a current CPR cert to complete the Stress & Rescue, I seem to recall.

NAUI's "Master Scuba Diver" course is a course by itself and isn't a mere take five specialties and get an "MSD" certification card. It entails a great deal of in class academics at "instructor" level knowledge in diving physics, physiology, decompression, equipment, etc. There are also openwater dives required (at least 8 dives). Graduates of this course should have academic knowledge and open water skills that are at an instructor's level (without the teaching skills) at the end of their training and certification (in-class exam and in-water evaluations are required for certification).

It is probably the most challenging and most knowledge and skill intensive course in recreational diving. NAUI requires this course and certifications as a prerequisite for ALL of its leadership (AI, DM, SDL and instructor) and technical diving programs.

NAUI's "Master Scuba Diver" course is a course by itself and isn't a mere take five specialties and get an "MSD" certification card. It entails a great deal of in class academics at "instructor" level knowledge in diving physics, physiology, decompression, equipment, etc. There are also openwater dives required (at least 8 dives). Graduates of this course should have academic knowledge and open water skills that are at an instructor's level (without the teaching skills) at the end of their training and certification (in-class exam and in-water evaluations are required for certification).

It is probably the most challenging and most knowledge and skill intensive course in recreational diving. NAUI requires this course and certifications as a prerequisite for ALL of its leadership (AI, DM, SDL and instructor) and technical diving programs.
NASE Master Scuba Diver course is very similar with its requirement. Prerequisite experience and courses like AOW, Rescue, First Aid (I think) then classroom time and I think 8 dives with various requirements. Also required for professional level courses. SDI requires the MSD certification for professional level divers as well.

Back
Top Bottom