NAUI 25 yd underwater swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Didn't know where to post this but was looking for a specific NAUI to post under. Guess there isn't one. Why would NAUI require this for an instructor course? Do other agencies require it? I can do it (and have done it many times) but am working on in Instructor cert now that I'm retired (age 65). Not planning to make a living at doing it but it's the next step in the progression. I would like to help with classes of younger kids just to see their face when they go underwater for the first time. :)

Because NAUI has and always will require divers to be able to swim. top side and underwater.
Samuel Miller, III
NAUI instructor number A 27
"Because we've always done it that way."

I require it at my OW course as I was required to do during mine. I have had to perform that skill through many of my technical certifications at well. It is a "nothing" skill in that everyone is capable of doing it, the only challenge is mental. It proves comfort under water, same with the ditch and don skills. There is no practical reason to be able to do that, but if you can, then it shows that you are mentally in full control of your body which is critical when teaching.

Didn't know where to post this but was looking for a specific NAUI to post under. Guess there isn't one. Why would NAUI require this for an instructor course? Do other agencies require it? I can do it (and have done it many times) but am working on in Instructor cert now that I'm retired (age 65). Not planning to make a living at doing it but it's the next step in the progression. I would like to help with classes of younger kids just to see their face when they go underwater for the first time. :)
To add another partial answer - that is NOT part of the PADI skills evaluation for either Dive Master or Instructor. There are several other swimming (and endurance) skills though, with several threads on SB asking "why do I need to do that?" I can't speak for any other agencies.

I require it at my OW course as I was required to do during mine.

Excellent. More important than proving the skill to the instructor is proving it to the student. Knowing that you can swim 75'/23M underwater, ideally on one breath without fins, has a lot of value for a new diver's self-confidence. That in turn is important for panic resistance.

It's not that hard if a skinny 11 year old kid could do it: Your First Time, Post #2

Because NAUI has and always will require divers to be able to swim. top side and underwater.

"Because we've always done it that way."

Because if one can't swim and is engaged in watersports the chances of of an accident, and drowning, increases. Swimming underwater seems reasonable since that is where SCUBA diving takes place.

Watermanship is out of vogue in SCUBA diving, and I wonder how many leave diving because they are involved in an incedent and realize how unprepared they are for a real accident. I've seen two, but I'm mostly a solo diver so my sample size is limited.

Bob

.............Watermanship is out of vogue in SCUBA diving, and I wonder how many leave diving because they are involved in an incedent and realize how unprepared they are for a real accident. I've seen two, but I'm mostly a solo diver so my sample size is limited.
Bob
I can't agree with you more Bob. It blows my mind how some people got there OW certification from an accredited agency. I really do try sympathize with others watermanship. I've been very spoiled in life and have always had a pool, a summer lake house, and till I was 10yrs old lived on the ocean. So I never really learned how to swim, I just swam all my life. So when paired with a dive buddy it's sometimes a little nerve racking since "your responsible" for your buddy. I feel like the captain or DM look at my log book and use me as extra help since I'm usually alone. I know I sound like a jerk but this is why I prefer solo diving

I don't recall the distance but back in '69 I was told that one of the requirements to become a NAUI instructor was an underwater swim, however they were allowed to surface twice to take a breath so it must have been longer than 75 feet. I agree with the mindset that if you can doff and don your gear at the bottom of the pool and swim around "blind" (aluminum foil inside the mask) and some of the other long-forgotten exercises that we had to do it gives you confidence and if something does go a little haywire you might be more likely to handle it more calmly. I think it can be summed up as something like "really knowing your sh*t." Personally, looking back, I think it helped me to avoid those kinds of situations.

I began diving solo when my dive buddy got pregnant (ex-wife) and did so until recently when my girlfriend became my new dive buddy. After having to assist (or downright rescue) way too many "buddies" I got to where the only divers that I would willingly buddy-up with are people like Bob DBF, who, as we know, is a solo diver so naturally I ended up diving alone. Of course now I have to keep an eye on my new dive buddy but so far I've only had to do one actual rescue and I'll be very careful to make sure that doesn't happen again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom