Any thoughts on liveaboard in Bahamas in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicole2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I have about 10 days I can get off in the last week of September and I'm thinking about taking a liveaboard in Bahamas. Anyone have done it?

Two options: Blackbeards Sea Explorer ($995) and Phoenix ($1500). Let me know if you know anything about these two boats! I don't mind Blackbeards' bunk beds since the price is so cheap for a liveaboard!

I heard that it's a hurricane season in the Caribbean during September so I hope I don't waste my money!

Hello,

I have about 10 days I can get off in the last week of September and I'm thinking about taking a liveaboard in Bahamas. Anyone have done it?

Two options: Blackbeards Sea Explorer ($995) and Phoenix ($1500). Let me know if you know anything about these two boats! I don't mind Blackbeards' bunk beds since the price is so cheap for a liveaboard!

I heard that it's a hurricane season in the Caribbean during September so I hope I don't waste my money!

Hurricane season runs from June through November with the peak storm activity during September, see the chart below:
Hurricanes and Storms

However the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean is a huge region, so just because there are storms in one area doesn't mean that the entire region will be affected; but the probability of storms does increase during the hurricane season and especially in September.

When it is not stormy the weather is often calm and gorgeous and the water is warm. I wouldn't hesitate to take a trip in September, but I would also buy trip insurance just in case.

We dived with Blackbeard's years ago, our first liveaboard, and I have no complaints. We got a good experience for a bargain price, but the lack of privacy isn't limited just to bunk beds with a flimsy curtain, in noisy dormitories with snoring room-mates. There is only one bathroom onboard, adjacent to the galley, and you have to take salt-water showers and then briefly rinse off with fresh water. On our cruise they ran out of fresh water after a couple of days and we could only take salt-water showers. You can also get a fresh-water rinse with the condensate hose on the dive deck.

I also got very seasick during the deep-water crossing from Florida to the Bahamas, but now they depart from Nassau so that may not be a problem. One nice thing about Blackbeards is that there is no single supplement, or need to share a cabin with a stranger, to get the cheapest rate offered for double-occupancy with many other LOBs.

We had fun and I'm glad we did it, but I wouldn't go back. There are lots of threads about Blackbeards on Scuba Board if you search the forum.

@10traveler10 has dived the Phoenix so perhaps he can give you more information and @Brodydog was considering it, but I don't know if he ever went on a trip, see the link below:
Phoenix Liveaboard

We did a lot of diving in the Bahamas when we younger and had a loads of fun, but the diving wasn't as good IMO as some of the other Caribbean locations we've dived - but it is close and easy and you are likely to see sharks. Bahamas water is also quite cold in the winter and spring (to me, anyway!) but it is nice in the autumn.

If you are also considering a land-based trip during September, I got an email just yesterday from the Clearly Cayman resorts that they still have some rooms available for their "Throwback Special" at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort in September, and the rate for single-occupancy is very reasonable if you are traveling alone, see the link below:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/throwback-special-at-cayman-brac-beach-resort-still-available-for-doubles-and-single-occupancy.579385/#post-8651743

I've been on diving vacations during both good and bad weather, on liveaboards and on shore, and I'd rather be on land during rough situations!

Hello,

There is availability on Aqua Cat, Blackbeard’s and Cat Ppalu in September. Cat Ppalu is available September 21-27 for $1,495 and Aqua Cat we have space September 7-14 in an ocean view quad cabin. Contact me at kevin@allstarliveaboards.com for more info.

Hurricane season runs from June through November with the peak storm activity during September, see the chart below:
Hurricanes and Storms

However the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean is a huge region, so just because there are storms in one area doesn't mean that the entire region will be affected; but the probability of storms does increase during September.

When it is not stormy the weather is often calm and gorgeous and the water is warm. I wouldn't hesitate to take a trip in September, but I would buy travel insurance just in case.

We dived with Blackbeard's years ago, our first liveaboard, and I have no complaints. We got a good experience for a bargain price, but the lack of privacy isn't limited just to bunk beds in noisy dormitories with snoring room-mates. There is only one bathroom onboard, adjacent to the galley, and you have to take salt-water showers and then briefly rinse off with fresh water. On our cruise they ran out of fresh water after a couple of days and we could only take salt-water showers. You can also get a fresh-water rinse with the condensate hose on the dive deck. We had fun and I'm glad we did it, but I wouldn't go back. There are lots of threads about Blackbeards on Scuba Board if you search the forum.

I also got very seasick during the deep-water crossing from Florida to the Bahamas, but now they depart from Nassau so that may not be a problem.

One nice thing about Blackbeards is that there is no single supplement, or need to share a cabin with a stranger, to get the cheaper rate offered for double-occupancy.

@10traveler10 has dived the Phoenix so perhaps he can give you more information and @Brodydog was considering it, but I don't know if he ever went on a trip, see the link below:
Phoenix Liveaboard

We did a lot of diving in the Bahamas when we younger and had a lot of fun, but the diving wasn't as good as some of the other Caribbean locations we've dived IMO - but it is close and easy and you are likely to see sharks. Bahamas water is also quite cold (to me!) in the winter and spring, but it is nice in the autumn.

If you are also considering a land-based trip during September, I got an email just yesterday from the Clearly Cayman resorts that they still have some rooms available for their Throwback Special at the Cayman Brac Beach Reort in September, and the rate for single-occupancy is very reasonable if you are traveling alone, see the link below:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/throwback-special-at-cayman-brac-beach-resort-still-available-for-doubles-and-single-occupancy.579385/#post-8651743

I've been on diving vacations during bad weather, both on liveaboards and on shore, and I'd rather be on land during rough situations!

Thank you so much! really helpful!!

I’ve been interested in trying a trip like this as well. Thanks for the info

I like the Juliet for this itinerary. Might not have availability this late as it's a fav of dive shops that book well in advance as well as a lot of repeat customers. Not a bad thing as it says a lot about it being a fun boat and a good crew (I'm already booked on it for July 2020 :)). If interested email Kat directly for updated availability. All IMHO, YMMV.

Contact form | Juliet Sailing and Diving

buy trip insurance...

The Cat Ppalu is such a nice upgrade from BlackBeards that I'd seriously consider it. More space, you share a cabin with one other person only, no freshwater limits on the showers and indoor bathrooms.

I have not. I do keep a list of links to threads where others talked about Blackbeard's, and I've got one for the Bahamas Aggressor Tiger Beach itinerary; perhaps what others have shared may help you.

JlcNuke’s 2017 My Blackbeard's Cruise Report - My Blackbeard's Cruise Report Includes some need-to-know discussion about bathing and bathroom concerns.

T.C.’s Report on Blackbeards May 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/484271-trip-report-blackbeard-s-cruises-24-30-may.html

Kimbalabala’s Blackbeards review 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wo...-liveaboard.html?highlight=Blackbeards+review

Craig66’s Question thread about Blackbeards - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...stion-about-dives-blackbeards-liveaboard.html

Bahamas Aggressor Tiger Beach Trip Report 8/4/18 - Bahamas Aggressor Tiger Beach Trip Report 8/4/18
Note: The recently Cayman Aggressor IV will soon become the new Bahamas Aggressor, but that hadn’t happened as of this trip.

from your username I'm guessing you're female. Are you also going solo? The reason I ask is that the Phoenix has 4 double berths only so unless they can split them, you'd be sharing a bed..

it doesn't look to me like the cabins are wide enough to split them either - and sometimes that interferes with bathroom access.

might check..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom