Something like Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grateful head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I’m looking for opinions on the title above- something like Roatan. I’m trying to plan our 20th wedding anniversary as a diving vacation similar to what I have experienced on Roatan. We have been there twice but would like to go elsewhere. So the thing about Roatan is it’s pretty freaking easy. We stayed in a small resort and private home just a 5 minute walk from West End town. Wake up in the morning, walk two minutes to dive boat, 5-10 minute boat ride to reefs, do an hour dive. An hour later another easy dive, get back to shore, eat lunch relax and maybe do a afternoon dive. Maybe pool and beer time in late afternoon, shower and walk to town for a decent variety of dinner options, few cocktails and repeat next day. Easy easy. No cars or driving hassles and pretty good diving. So... I’m looking for something similar but in a new location. I have been to Cozumel, DR, Turks and Caicos, the Keys, couple other places in Mexico. Does anybody have ideas for a different destination like the one I described in Roatan. Not really interested in being stuck in a dive resort in the middle of nowhere. Going to town at night for local good food and drinks is important as well as good diving. Thanks and welcome any feedback.

Bonaire may fit the bill. Divi Dive Resort has a short walk to the dock, where you also store your gear. Short walk to town also. Easy diving as well.

If you weren't committed to going to town at night I'd suggest a liveaboard. They don't come any easier than that.

Thanks for the replies. Livaboard may be easy but we would enjoy the freedom of doing our own thing at night and not bring in a boat. The Philippines and Bonaire are definitely destinations that I have considered on the short list. My research says Belize may not have really good diving, would be interested in hearing more about it. Isn’t ISIS in the Philippines?

Thanks for the replies. Livaboard may be easy but we would enjoy the freedom of doing our own thing at night and not bring in a boat. The Philippines and Bonaire are definitely destinations that I have considered on the short list. My research says Belize may not have really good diving, would be interested in hearing more about it. Isn’t ISIS in the Philippines?

I'm confident that you will like it just fine.

Once you start diving on the other side of the world that will probably change.

Ok thanks, I will research Puerto Galera a bit more as well as the other suggestions.

Check out Scandi Divers on Big Lalaguna Beach in Puerto Galera (Sabang area). What's great about Scandi's location is that it is two beaches over from Sabang and is much cleaner and quieter. We stayed in one of the "Penthouse" rooms which I recommend. Very nice view and large terrace. Dive sites were very close (<15min) except for Verde Island which is a must. Sabang is a little crazy but some people enjoy that and is about a 15 minute walk from Scandi.

Back
Top Bottom