Care of latex seals - KY jelly ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do know a former long time shop owner that was a "go-to advice guy" in the area for many years that had some reservations about talc. If I recall correctly, he said he had seen more than one suit that required de-clogging of the suit dump valves after wet talc had clumped up in the valve. So my take away was if using talc, to do so sparingly. Add that to the list of "more is NOT always better..."

This seems to be a little known agent in the diving community but a well known chemical in the boating and Aviation world, 303 Aerospace plastic , Vinyl, and rubber protectant. It not only protects from UV rays but it also restores plastic, Vinyl, and rubber compounds. It’s pricey but a little goes a long way and if you spray your suit and seals down let it hang and dry , the next time you donn your suit even dry no lube / talc at all it’s like you just took a bath in sex lube it slips on so easy. Also it’s water Soluble so if you have to do a repair on your wet/Drysuit all you gotta do is clean it with some soap n water and the glue sticks with no troubles.

Is this it? https://www.amazon.com/303-Protecta...ocphy=1015254&hvtargid=pla-374671520048&psc=1

It sounds similar to the UV Tech and McNett products. But I’m not planning to experiment with it.

n
I do know a former long time shop owner that was a "go-to advice guy" in the area for many years that had some reservations about talc. If I recall correctly, he said he had seen more than one suit that required de-clogging of the suit dump valves after wet talc had clumped up in the valve. So my take away was if using talc, to do so sparingly. Add that to the list of "more is NOT always better..."

No need to powder the valves...

This seems to be a little known agent in the diving community but a well known chemical in the boating and Aviation world, 303 Aerospace plastic , Vinyl, and rubber protectant. It not only protects from UV rays but it also restores plastic, Vinyl, and rubber compounds. It’s pricey but a little goes a long way and if you spray your suit and seals down let it hang and dry , the next time you donn your suit even dry no lube / talc at all it’s like you just took a bath in sex lube it slips on so easy. Also it’s water Soluble so if you have to do a repair on your wet/Drysuit all you gotta do is clean it with some soap n water and the glue sticks with no troubles.
I ruined a latex neck seal with the 303 protectant. The latex degraded, lost it's form and formed striations, so I'd advise against using it and any other chemicals not approved and tried on latex.

I ruined a latex neck seal with the 303 protectant. The latex degraded, lost it's form and formed striations, so I'd advise against using it and any other chemicals not approved and tried on latex.
Really that’s good to hear from someone iv never heard anything bad about it before

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom