Port Ghalib hotels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Several of us need to stay a night or two in Port Ghalib in September before our liveaboard departs.
Any suggestions? The usual booking sites are not very informative, especially on prices.

In late 2016, our group stayed at Marina Lodge prior to our outing on the Red Sea Aggressor, which was a short zodiac ride away. They also have an on-site operator Emperor Divers, which I would recommend if you wanted to get off resort for a day.

I also stayed one night at the The Three Corners Fayrouz Plaza Beach Resort. It is a higher end hotel and very comfortable.

We usually book through Hotels.com and find that they offer a very good level of detail.

Stayed at Marina Lodge for a couple of days before and a day between back to back trips. OK hotel a short water taxi ride away. Very inexpensive. As I recall booked through Expedia - Agressor wanted to charge about quadruple the Expedia price for the same room.

Good point, Darnold9999. I have always been able to find a better price on-line. I don't begrudge operators adding a reasonable amount for a booking fee - and this may be necessary if the locale is remote and CC payments can not be made securely - but it should be reasonable.

I was in Marsa Alam end of September 2018 for 2 weeks. I stayed at the Sunrise for 1 week diving daily with emperor, liveaboard 1 week, emperor also.
I had looked at the reviews of the marina lodge and chose not to stay there, as the reviews were mixed (warm beer, if you can even get service etc). If I'm staying a week, I want a bit of comfort. Also the Marina Lodge is on the sideof the marina with Emperor Divers, vs Sunrise which is on the side of the shops, restaurants, places to walk around at night.
Note that in September 2018, the water taxi was not operating due to low demand, but people just walked around, there are mini-bridges in the marina etc. so you can get across on foot. 20 minutes walk or so.

It'll come down to what you are looking for. If just for 2 nights before boarding a liveaboard and you're looking for a place to sleep, go with Marina Lodge. It's cheap and has all the basics that you need.
If you want more comfort, I would actually recommend Three Corners over Sunrise. It's a bit further after Marina Lodge, so not at all in the "Port Ghalib hotspot", but it's much nicer than Sunrise, better beach etc, and if you want, a shuttle can get you to the restaurants in no-time, and very cheap. My mental note while there was that if I go back to Marsa, I'd book Three Corners next time.

The Marina hotel is strictly for the lowest budget traveler. It is horrible. If you need internet, it is ONLY available in the hot, unairconditioned hotel lobby. It is also remote, in that you can't walk to the main Port Ghalib bars and restaurants. I can't opine on the rooms, because when we saw what the situation was, we immediately booked a room at the Sunrise, which is in the center of the shopping/eating area, is $115/night ALL INCLUSIVE, with buffets breakfast lunch and dinner, including drinks! At the Sunrise, the buffets were palatable -- even good. The rooms were nice and the internet was poor, but working in the rooms. We went on the Aggressor I to the South and they are docked right near the Sunrise (walking distance).

The Aggressor folks booked a day room for me at the Marina after my trip in March to hang out until it was time to go to the airport. It was OK but the Sunrise sounds like a better spot for when I return.

The Marina hotel is strictly for the lowest budget traveler. It is horrible. If you need internet, it is ONLY available in the hot, unairconditioned hotel lobby. It is also remote, in that you can't walk to the main Port Ghalib bars and restaurants. I can't opine on the rooms, because when we saw what the situation was, we immediately booked a room at the Sunrise, which is in the center of the shopping/eating area, is $115/night ALL INCLUSIVE, with buffets breakfast lunch and dinner, including drinks! At the Sunrise, the buffets were palatable -- even good. The rooms were nice and the internet was poor, but working in the rooms. We went on the Aggressor I to the South and they are docked right near the Sunrise (walking distance).

I beg to differ. The Marina Hotel was comfortable and I would not describe it as "strictly for the lowest budget traveler." Nor is it "horrible".

I chose the Marina Lodge because I was going out with Emperor Divers before going out on the Aggressor. They are on site. Aggressor picked me up in one of their tenders. The hotel was fine, the Internet worked, food was OK. The diving with Emperor Divers was fun. They have a trip to Elphinestone

Back
Top Bottom