MK25EVO + A700. Thoughts on this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In California, you would not see any difference between the MK25 EVO and the MK17. The Mk17 would be better suited for ice diving.
In Cali the Mk17 would help keep sand out of the reg since it is sealed. So a maintenance difference.

In Cali the Mk17 would help keep sand out of the reg since it is sealed. So a maintenance difference.

I use my MK25's in Libya where we have very fine sand and it hasn't been an issue at all as long as we don't drop the first stage in the sand which hasn't happened at all so far. The only time the sealed version would make a difference is when diving in really dirty water with lots of suspended sludge/mud in the water.

The S600 is a great reg but the A700 is better. I have two of each and if I had to do it over again, I'd only go with the A700. As for other gear, rather than an octopus, I recommend an alternate air source that's combined with an inflator. The Atomic SS1 is a great choice as it the Scubapro Air2. I'm a NAUI instructor and although used equipment seems like a bargain, in the long run better to buy new with a warranty and you know what you have. If you buy used, the first thing you'd want to do is take it to a qualified service professional at your dive shop and get it overhauled. Always buy the best you can afford. In this day and age, using gauges is a bit antiquated. Save your money and buy a good computer. Few people use dive tables to plan dives as it results in limited times underwater, Computers calculate dive times and depths using very complex algorithms that are built to ensure safety and constantly recalculate depth and time limits. Recommend air-integrated computers that are either wireless with a wrist unit or a console model with hose connected to first stage.

Yes the best I can afford
the original on which the A700 is based
full.jpg

A700 performance x 2
for a couple of hundred dollars

In scubapro line up, I have used S600, G250V, A700. I money is no constrain, I will pick in this order: A700, G250V, S600. S600 is a fine 2nd stage, just the other two also seem to feel better to me. I finally keep two G250V for myself. And be careful, certain year's S600 has plastic air tube, don't get those.

For 1st stage, I have two Mk25 myself. Down to about 40F, I haven't had issue with freezing. As for resistant to environment, such as sand and dirty water, CA water beach dive sites are very brutttle, my Mk25s are so far so good. I don't have a reason to make a switch. If I go ice diving, I will take a sealed diaphragm 1st stage.

Yes the best I can afford
the original on which the A700 is based
View attachment 525461

A700 performance x 2
for a couple of hundred dollars
N O W you've done it! You've thrown the MK10/109 into the mix. What if she sees this:
full?d=1539371521.jpg

full-d-1539371521-jpg.525494.jpg

1408887.jpg

If I go ice diving, I will take a sealed diaphragm 1st stage.

You should have no issue at all with the MK25 in ice freezing water. My friends use them in the great lakes in the middle of the winter without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom