Editing videos....what program do you use???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have money to spend go for Premiere Pro. It's slowly but surely turning into the Industry standard for editing. Alot of NEWS outlets etc still use AVID, but most of them are slowly converting to Premiere as well. This is mainly because of the cross compatibility with After Effects and everything Adobe related.

If you don't have money to spend use Da Vinci Resolve, it's a bit high on the resource usage, but it's the most complete Editor you can get for free that also has top notch color grading possibilities.

I have used Premiere Elements for several years and was quite satisfied until I upgraded to the 2018 version. There is a known issue that prevents you from exporting your project if any changes are made to clips that have been stabilized or if you save a new version of a project that has stabilized clips. This requires you to re-run the shake stabilizer in each clip, which is massively annoying and time consuming.

As such, I am in the process of moving to the free version of Davinci Resolve. It is quite complicated to learn but is also way more powerful than Premiere Elements. The colour grading capabilities are extremely impressive and the stabilizer is significantly better than the Adobe warp stabilizer. It runs well on my Dell 7000 Gaming laptop (i7, 32GB, GTX1070, two SSDs) but I need to create proxies to monitor 4K video without stutter. I plan to build my next project on this platform.
Will the free version of Davinci render to 4K ? Think most all software makes shadow files, but some let you edit during the process (with juddering) and some not. In Power Director, you can set stabilization to one clip and then apply to all, handy and then if one clip needs to be adjusted, you can edit that clip universal settings.

Editing 4K in laptop with no dedicated graphics card with no prob...
That would be awesome... if there is a free trial version it’s well worth a try...

Will the free version of Davinci render to 4K ? Think most all software makes shadow files, but some let you edit during the process (with juddering) and some not.

You can edit a 4K timeline using the native files or by creating proxy files. Editing with proxy files is extremely smooth, even on a laptop. Either format can be exported to 4K.

Final Cut Pro X if you use a Mac. You could also look into Davinci Resolve - the base version is free which is more than enough for underwater video editing and color correction.

Back
Top Bottom