Diving doubles.... a trim issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're talking about the bands on the tanks, not which hole you're using to bolt to the backplate. Post up a picture of your doubles.

And before you go slapping extra weights all over the place, try and get it sorted with what you have. It may be as simple as shifting your tank bands 12 mil. Maybe it will take a tail weight, maybe it will be removing some weight. We can't really help without a clearer idea of your tanks and what your in-water trim looks like.

As has already been mentioned...avoid ankle weights...also when you move up to a dry-suit...buy a suit that fits properly...and avoid gaiters...don't become dependant on training wheels...

Most if not all “custom” cut drysuit just sewn together from stock size parts. I have large calves and end up with huge air pockets. Near the ankles on my >$2500 “custom” suit. I tried the “cankle bands”, but gaiters are much more effective at keeping bubble under control.

I use a tailweight on my twinsets to offset the weight of the manifold / valves / first stages. And 4lbs of shot in a Highland tail pouch seems to do the trick.

I use a tailweight on my twinsets to offset the weight of the manifold / valves / first stages. And 4lbs of shot in a Highland tail pouch seems to do the trick.

This really means nothing without tank type and other factors. Most people diving steel doubles with a steel plate and wet, can trim out without adding weight. If you are able to get to neutral (overall) with ~500psi at 10-20’. Adding weight would be my absolute last resort

And before you go slapping extra weights all over the place, try and get it sorted with what you have. It may be as simple as shifting your tank bands 12 mil.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

Just moving the bands and/or moving the tanks down a notch on your backplate might make all the difference. Also maybe a heavier set of fins like the Hollis F1s. You shouldn't need any extra ballast, even diving an AL plate.

As far as my weighting goes, at 4kig I am pretty much spot on. Experimenting with shore dive, I found that I could surface or go to the bottom using only breath control. When I Diving singles I dive with 13kg on my weight belt.

I bought a set of ankle weights on the recommendation of the owner of a dive shop. He told me that the weight I have on my ankles can come off my weight belt. This means that I only have 2.5kg on my weight belt. One problem I can see is that at 1.5kg for the pair, the ankle weights may overcorrect the situation giving me lead legs rather than floaty legs. The dive shop only told me that this shouldn't be a problem, but I would like the forums opinion.

So what do you guys reckon??

Ankle weights are NEVER the answer. Got a local GUE instructor? Go take a doubles primer, they'll sort you out. Or most GUE's will do day rate mentoring, see if they'll do a day of mentoring to get you set up. It shouldn't take much time at all to get you sorted.

Ankle weights are NEVER the answer. Got a local GUE instructor? Go take a doubles primer, they'll sort you out. Or most GUE's will do day rate mentoring, see if they'll do a day of mentoring to get you set up. It shouldn't take much time at all to get you sorted.

Thanks, Johnny C, I might just do that

Back
Top Bottom