Peeing in a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just downloaded the dives from computer to my laptop to see what my stats are. It looks like my average depth across a recent range of dives is between 16-18 meters with max depth averaging between 25meters and 30meters.

I am diving a steel 12L cylinder with +/- 200 bar. Subsurface is indicating my SAC is averaging between 9 and 11 liters/min.

-Z
9-11 liters per min? I could be wrong but I think you’ve miscalculated SCR. Most divers I know are around 20l/ min and that’s considered good.

There’s no way you’re 10l below them...

Most divers I know are around 20l/ min and that’s considered good.
That sounds a bit on the high side for me. In a wetsuit in warm water, I'm from 12 to 16. In a drysuit in cold water I'm from 16 to 20, average 17-18.

I guess I'm awesome (no, I really don't. That was a joke. Your gas consumption is what it is)

9-11 liters per min? I could be wrong but I think you’ve miscalculated SCR. Most divers I know are around 20l/ min and that’s considered good.

I am around 12~15 in warm water depending on type of dive. I am a big man and I dived with small divers with half my consumption.

That sounds a bit on the high side for me. In a wetsuit in warm water, I'm from 12 to 16. In a drysuit in cold water I'm from 16 to 20, average 17-18.

I guess I'm awesome (no, I really don't. That was a joke. Your gas consumption is what it is)

I am around 12~15 in warm water depending on type of dive. I am a big man and I dived with small divers with half my consumption.

Well maybe.

One of the reasons I say this is because my GUE instructor (extremely experienced) has a SCR of 16L/min...

Does body composition matter? If you have more muscle, will you need more oxygen even though you’re not using it?
How can you decrease your SCR apart from fitness? Is it stress related? Thanks for your answers

I live in the northeast and recently I have been thinking about a drysuit. I know that having one would definitely expand my diving opportunities. I started reading up on them and ran into several articles having to do with the valve/(ahem) condom connection. It sounds like it is uncomfortable, at best (especially the removal part, but a squeeze there is a possibility, too....ouch). Does anybody just drysuit dive wearing Depends? I know that I can't make it through any dive without peeing.

Thoughts?

I once did a two-hour drysuit dive in a swimming pool for an art installation.

Obviously a pee valve wouldn't be an acceptable solution so I used an adult nappy (diaper to you in the US) instead. Unfortunately, as I discovered, these really aren't designed for someone face-down and horizontal. Urine could and did spill over the non-absorbent front waist area. I therefore wouldn't recommend relying on Depends. Either manage your hydration or get a pee valve.

I didn't calculate my SCR....I connected my dive computer to my laptop and downloaded the data to the Subsurface dive log app and it calculated my SCR for me.

Perhaps subsurface has got their calculation wrong.

-Z

I just d--loaded a bunch more dives from my backup computer and some recent dives from my main computer to have a larger sample size in subsurface....the larger sample has my SCR ranging from 9.5L/min to 16L/min.

-Z

Well maybe.

One of the reasons I say this is because my GUE instructor (extremely experienced) has a SCR of 16L/min...

Does body composition matter? If you have more muscle, will you need more oxygen even though you’re not using it?
How can you decrease your SCR apart from fitness? Is it stress related? Thanks for your answers

I think what affect most is lung volume.

Does body composition matter? If you have more muscle, will you need more oxygen
Maybe. I really don't know, but I think @Magnus Lundstedt may have a point. The shape you're in may also have an effect. And a bunch of other things we probably have very little control of.

At least I see a lot of variation depending on the dive. My lowest consumption in a dry suit was some 12.7 lpm. We had a mild current and were just drifting along the bottom. My highest - not accounting very short dives off the top of a 300 bar tank, where compressibility screws up your calculations - are in the low/mid 20s.

If you’re going to use diapers (and I do, as back-up to the she-p), use baby ones with the sides folded back and the middle in the right spot. They have gel that holds fluid. Adult diapers usually have fluff that will squeeze fluid back out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom