Noisy Apeks 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goingforsound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

One of my friends sent me a video of his regulator set. Its a 2 weeks old Apeks XTX50 bought new in a reputable shop in Philippines. First stage seems to be a DST.

He complained On the first few dives about a whining noise below 90bars. He got a new one on warranty. I have never hear a noise like this and never also read about a brand new Apeks reg being defective.

Any other similar issues?

JC

Oscillations. Happened to me but more of a monotone. Someone suggested to change the mainspring. I took it apart and did an overhaul. After putting it back together, I realized that I made an error and did not swap the main spring (I marked it). The noise went away. My theory was inadequate lubrication of the HP valve.

Inadequate lube is most often the cause of first stage noise, more so with piston regs I believe. Re lube and flipping spring almost always solves the issue. Never experienced the issue with a diaphragm reg but have experienced it with several piston regs.

Came across once or twice after servicing but never so loud. I added a wee bit more MCG1-11 on the stem of the HP valve and the noise went away.

Its a 2 weeks old Apeks XTX50
Apeks regs quality fell down lately, so despite being an Apeks fanboy (I own 4 their regs) I do not recommend buying anything newer than 2015.

Apeks regs quality fell down lately, so despite being an Apeks fanboy (I own 4 their regs) I do not recommend buying anything newer than 2015.
They still look and work the same. I own 8 complete sets plus a few "orphan" 1st and 2nd stages. They are mostly 2nd hand from the TX to the latest XTX flavor.

Do you have any examples? Cheers.

new SPGs tend to leak in the first 10 dives; closing the tank and purging the 2nd stage does not remove all gas from the system so you have to suck the gas off the 2nd stage to remove the pressure to be able to unscrew the 1st stage from the tank; lame flat o-rings take a moment to seal when opening the tank; etc.

They still look and work the same. I own 8 complete sets plus a few "orphan" 1st and 2nd stages. They are mostly 2nd hand from the TX to the latest XTX flavor.
> They are mostly 2nd hand

which years of production?

new SPGs tend to leak in the first 10 dives; closing the tank and purging the 2nd stage does not remove all gas from the system so you have to suck the gas off the 2nd stage to remove the pressure to be able to unscrew the 1st stage from the tank; lame flat o-rings take a moment to seal when opening the tank; etc.

> They are mostly 2nd hand

which years of production?

I doubt very much they are "Apeks" SPGs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom