Why are New 7/8-14 UNF Tank Valves Air-Only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kensei

Master Fin Sharpener
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have two tanks with 7/8 inch Thermo 5282-5250 valves that are "EAN Ready" according to the 2004 Thermo catalogue. The new 7/8-14 UNF valve is rated as air-only now .

What changed that makes the current valve "air-only" when the previous one was EAN ready? If I'm using the new valve on an older 3500 PSI, PST tank... is there anything I could do to make the new valve EAN ready such as having the valve professionally rebuilt with O2-compatible components?

XS does answer the phone and allow the technical people to speak to outsiders, it might be worth calling directly.
I'd guess either a seat or a seal of some kind was changed, and is no longer oxygen-safe. If that's the case they probably also can tell you if the older style parts can be retrofitted, or if it just something as simple as needing a proper cleaning for oxygen service.

Kind of covered this on your other thread. Don't expect XS to respond on this thread - call them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom