Why not use TTL cord for non-TTL flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qathetDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ikelite says to not use their TTL sync cord on a non-TTL system. Why not?
Nikon D70 Aquatica - Ikelite Substrobe MV
(I know, I'm old.)

In electronics, TTL normally means "transistor-transistor logic" and the voltage and amperage on TTL lines are both minimal. If a sync cord was passing higher voltage, it could burn out the TTL cable very easily.

I thought it meant “Through The Lens” as in light from flash is measured thru lens and onto sensor??
You are correct sir.
From Ikelite website:
TTL or "Thru-the-Lens" flash metering means the camera evaluates the scene and communicates exposure information directly to the compatible flash. The camera automatically adjusts the power output of the external flash so you don't have to.
DL1 DS Link Nikon TTL Converter Ikelite NT2 Hotshoe Kit

In electronics, TTL normally means "transistor-transistor logic" and the voltage and amperage on TTL lines are both minimal. If a sync cord was passing higher voltage, it could burn out the TTL cable very easily.
No. The cable will not burn out. The cable will be just fine.

Ikelite has had several generations of incompatible wiring schemes. Using the wrong cable might burn out electronics in either strobe or camera housing depending upon what you try to connect. Or maybe things will just not work?

Thanks for that Joe Friday. So if I'm reading that right, I'm only using ground and trigger, so either cable should be able to handle that. Right?

That's the wonderful thing about acronyms. Especially the ones that are in use for ages, that some "outsider" reinvents as totally different in a different field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom