GPS Tracking your dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a solid and well-known technique. @BlueTrin please note the GPS receiver (old phone) is at the surface, not underwater. The diver has a line to the float and drags it around. There are small errors, of course, due to the diver not being directly under the float, but in relatively shallow water without strong currents, it works well.
Thanks for explaining, could I attach it to my SMB ?

My running watch overlays my track on Google Maps. When I pause at a red light I can see the cursor circling when download the watch. If you stopped at the anchor for more than a minute you would be able to see where it is on a map.

Thanks for explaining, could I attach it to my SMB ?
Why would you want to do that? It will only tell you where the SMB is, it won't send that info anywhere.

Why would you want to do that? It will only tell you where the SMB is, it won't send that info anywhere.
I was planning to drag the smb during the dive to get my location, isn’t it similar than to leave it on a float ?

I was planning to drag the smb during the dive to get my location, isn’t it similar than to leave it on a float ?
Yes, that will work. Take care to put the GPS in a waterproof non-metal container, and try and mount it high on the SMB so it is not on the water surface.....it works better a bit away from the water. You'll need to keep tension on the SMB line so the SMB does not flop over into the water. It's tricky with an SMB, which is why a float is better.

That's how I interpreted your question. Yes, a float is similar to an SMB, but I can't see how a phone or smartwatch could be attached to an SMB without the weight causing the SMB to flop over. A dive float is more rigid.

edit: tursiops beat me to it

That's how I interpreted your question. Yes, a float is similar to an SMB, but I can't see how a phone or smartwatch could be attached to an SMB without the weight causing the SMB to flop over. A dive float is more rigid.

edit: tursiops beat me to it
I had to ask what he meant because one normally uses an SMB only at the end of a dive, and does not drag it around during a dive. The drag on a float is less than the drag on an SMB, so it is much easier to use a float to mark your location by GPS.

If you keep the float line fairly taunt, the GPS location should be fairly close. The more slack the less accurate. I already thought about how to mark a spot. A time stamp would probably work, but would require keeping notes on a slate and syncing your dive computer with your GPS. An easier solution is to swim out perpendicular to your heading to the found object 10 or 20 ft and back. You can see that I did that about where the cut-through between the rocks was. It depends on how sophisticated you want to get, I am using an old phone and the freeware version of the app. If I was serious about precise locations, I am sure a lot more could be done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom