MK25EVO + A700. Thoughts on this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicole2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about purchasing MK25EVO + A700.
I found a pretty good deal with an octopus included.

But one of the instructor I know mentioned that S600 also works well and that I don't really need to spend extra on buying the new A700. The cost difference is only ~ $80. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, the website I'm looking at seems to only have three things in the picture in the package. What kind of gauge (SPG) and a low pressure hose do I need? I'm new to buying my own equipments so I'd also appreciate if you can comment on other accessories I'd need when setting everything up!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 7.44.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 7.44.23 PM.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 159
I tried out an MK25EVO + S600 a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic. If it wasn't for the cost of it I would have purchased it already, but since I'm not in a hurry I've been doing a lot more research and cost is the only thing that has held me back thus far and probably will keep me from getting an SP regulator.

I'm curious, what kind of deal did you find on that package?

As for SPG I ended up getting one from DGX already (before I even know what regs I'm getting) as they were fairly priced and have good reviews.

EDIT:

And for the record, I'm a total noob with just 15 dives under my belt and only used rental gear thus far but am also purchasing my own gear now. So just keep that in mind lol.

A standard brass SPG is all you need, tie off a bolt snap to retain to hip D ring. As far as a LP hose, I would go to your LDS and actually measure out what length you need.
Regarding the S600 vs A700, I have the S600 as my backup (G250V as primary). Both are fine regs, from what I've read the A700 breathes better. The A700 is smaller, but heavier. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.

I tried out an MK25EVO + S600 a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic. If it wasn't for the cost of it I would have purchased it already, but since I'm not in a hurry I've been doing a lot more research and cost is the only thing that has held me back thus far and probably will keep me from getting an SP regulator.

I'm curious, what kind of deal did you find on that package?

As for SPG I ended up getting one from DGX already (before I even know what regs I'm getting) as they were fairly priced and have good reviews.

EDIT:

And for the record, I'm a total noob with just 15 dives under my belt and only used rental gear thus far but am also purchasing my own gear now. So just keep that in mind lol.

Okay! Nothing amazing but it's 645 euros including regulator, octopus, and the first stage. one www.atlantis-onlineshop.de. I think it's ~$300 cheaper than other websites.
Would any SPG work? someone said some might not fit in correctly.

A standard brass SPG is all you need, tie off a bolt snap to retain to hip D ring. As far as a LP hose, I would go to your LDS and actually measure out what length you need.
Regarding the S600 vs A700, I have the S600 as my backup (G250V as primary). Both are fine regs, from what I've read the A700 breathes better. The A700 is smaller, but heavier. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.

Would any brass SPG work? someone mentioned that I have to check if the bolt would work with the first stage.
Okay. So I shouldn't purchase any LP hose before the measurement then.
thanks!

I dive these regs, and they breath like a dream...

The only knock on them is they're expensive, and self service isn't the easiest (but still very possible)... That being said, I bought mine used (paying roughly 50% of retail, AFTER A FULL SERVICE), and I have ZERO interest in servicing my own regulators, so I don't mind that aspect of them.

With the A700, I like it mainly because it's an all metal regulator. This reduces 'cotton mouth' while diving, which is really nice IMO. I also like the way they look. Again, it's just my opinion, but I think the S600 is kind of ugly, especially when compared to the A700.

In regards to the MK25... I'll be looking to sell/ trade mine, and 'upgrade' to MK17. The MK17 has several advantages... IMO.

I was set on the MK25+A700 initially but ended up with an MK17+S620Ti instead. The 17 because of the sealed design (one less thing to worry about in salt water) and the S620Ti because of its excellent WOB and light housing. Needless to say the combination works like a dream.

Regarding the SPG, you could also consider diving a wireless air integrated (AI) computer, in which case you just screw a transmitter into the first stage and have it ping your tank pressure to the wrist. One less hose to deal with, and some useful gas calcs also. Some will say you always need an analogue SPG but you'll have to decide what works for your diving.

I dive these regs, and they breath like a dream...

The only knock on them is they're expensive, and self service isn't the easiest (but still very possible)... That being said, I bought mine used (paying roughly 50% of retail, AFTER A FULL SERVICE), and I have ZERO interest in servicing my own regulators, so I don't mind that aspect of them.

With the A700, I like it mainly because it's an all metal regulator. This reduces 'cotton mouth' while diving, which is really nice IMO. I also like the way they look. Again, it's just my opinion, but I think the S600 is kind of ugly, especially when compared to the A700.

In regards to the MK25... I'll be looking to sell/ trade mine, and 'upgrade' to MK17. The MK17 has several advantages... IMO.

Hm.. I'm not sure what 'cotton mouth' is.. never tried a metal regulator.
MK17 is an upgraded version over MK25 EVO? I thought MK25 EVO is the most recent and upgraded one.
Yes. I like how A700 looks over S600 too.

Hm.. I'm not sure what 'cotton mouth' is.. never tried a metal regulator.
MK17 is an upgraded version over MK25 EVO? I thought MK25 EVO is the most recent and upgraded one.
Yes. I like how A700 looks over S600 too.

You may want to do a bit of research, MK25 Evo is their flagship piston reg, MK17 Evo is their flagship environmentally sealed diaphragm reg. Both are updated. It is a matter of piston vs. diaphragm and whether environmental sealing has benefits depending on the water you dive in and the ability to rinse thoroughly/immediately etc.

The layout can also be a factor, some like the swivel turret on the MK25, others like myself have no use for it and prefer a smaller unit.

In practice, both are great regs.

@nicole2, when diving a plastic regulator it wasn't uncommon for me to finish the dive and have my mouth feel all dry on the inside. It's my understanding this is due to the dry air in your tank, and volume of air used on deeper dives. With an all metal regulator this is a non issue, for me.

I think SP markets the MK25 as their 'premium' first stage, but it's my opinion the MK17 is superior, a superior design and very 'tried an true'. As far as the Evo versions go, I think that's hype, with not much added value.

If I were you I'd keep and eye out for used regulators, it's not uncommon to see them trade for less then half of retail. Buying used has allow me to dive 'premium gear' (ie expensive stuff) for a reasonable price... In my opinion, once serviced, by a competent tech, used regulators as just as safe as new stuff right out of the box...

Back
Top Bottom