Andy Phillips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphakry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Thank you for all of your support and kind words. The family and friends have now decided to release more information regarding this incident - involving PADI Course Director and mentor to many, Thomas Andy Phillips.

"It is with a heavy heart that I make this official social media announcement about the untimely passing of our dear friend Andy Phillips as a result of a tragic dive accident on Tuesday June 11th 2019

Andy was extremely respected in the dive industry and was loved and will be missed by so many more. He is survived by his life partner Marie-Claude, his father and his sister.

A legend taken too soon"

Andy has been a friend and mentor to me for many years now and I am utterly destroyed that he isn't coming back to our tiny island of Utila to watch the sunset and drink a beer together.

My deepest sympathies to all family and friends

Very sadly after many days of intensive search underwater at the surface and eventually with helicopters Andy has still not been found.
We have been deeply shocked and upset by this tragedy, there are as yet no difinitive answers to why this happened. But Andy will be missed.

Thank you, Andy, for your guidance, fun and laughter and for being there at special moments for me x

Here is the official announcement on Facebook from his friend Jason
Jason Levi

I'm still in shock, unable to believe that this tragedy has happened. Only a few weeks ago, I told Andy how much I respected his ability to work hard, play hard - always enjoying adrenaline-fuelled activities when away from Utila.
I'm privileged to have taught with Andy & learnt so much from him. Andy was the patriarch of an amazing UDC family, an inspiration & mentor to many, and he will be profoundly missed by divers around the world.

Wow. Met him last year, when I dove with UDC. I was just emailing with him about taking some tech classes/Dm with him soon.
He was a really knowledgable person from everything I saw and have heard. :(

Where did this happen?

Andy was an amazing person, diver and entrepreneur. And an all around good guy to share a beer with. His guidance helped many divers get started in diving, tech diving or going pro. He truly touched thousands of lives around the world, and we will all ever be grateful for that.

For me personally Andy was the one I reached out to for 3 month Divemaster internship in a planned work sabbatical, as he and UDC were clearly one of the best around to start pro training. That morphed into doing IDC, and now a 6 year career in diving.

During these years Andy was always present as a mentor. Although he was a keen businessman, he was also dead honest if a career in diving would be something for you. And over the years, even with the thousands of pros he had trained, a quick mail for career advice or just to touch base would always be returned straight away.

Andy was truly an inspiration for many. The way he shaped his life and career around his goals, and the way he went about that were awesome. I would count myself lucky if I could achieve a fraction of what he has achieved.

Hearing the news of Andy's passing last week left me in absolute shock. I had just recently reached out to him to talk about doing tech instructor training, and as usual, his reply was lightning fast. Living on Grand Cayman and close to Utila, I planned to drop by 'one day'. Now I feel so sorry that I didn't follow up on that earlier. Utila will never be the same for me. I'm so happy to have had a quick beer with Andy at DEMA 2017.

Andy, thanks for everything. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you. Even with you gone you will continue to be an inspiration and dearly missed friend.

#thisisUDC

it killed me not to talk about Andy , he was a great person and even greater instructor we lost one of the best in my own back yard , gods speed Andy we will miss you .

Back
Top Bottom