Left handed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your comments.

I have no problem using both hands but I am a complete lefty (except for politics) :). I have only used different rented equipment and mostly used it at it comes. In the process of spacing up my own gear. The inflator is on the left - for me it feels more home on the right. I also see the benefit of standardisation and I am well aware of the power of habits. With my own gear I might try to move the inflator, time will tell. Thank you for the kind advise.

@John C. Ratliff Thanks. Several modern regulators can easily be configured for left handed.

My instructor recommended Apeks XTX50, that can be converted within seconds.

Apeks XTX50 Regulator Set

I am still trying out different regulators trying to find what I like. I do like the SP A700 with a MK25 first stage. I would like to try the new SP S620TI. No rush. S620TI of often used side mounted. With assuming with side mounted tanks you convert the regulator from right to left? I would think most people just add a longer hose.

@John C. Ratliff Thanks. Several modern regulators can easily be configured for left handed.

My instructor recommended Apeks XTX50, that can be converted within seconds.

Apeks XTX50 Regulator Set

I am still trying out different regulators trying to find what I like. I do like the SP A700 with a MK25 first stage. I would like to try the new SP S620TI. No rush. S620TI of often used side mounted. With assuming with side mounted tanks you convert the regulator from right to left? I would think most people just add a longer hose.
T Mogle,

I don't know, as in my now 60 years of diving, I have never dived side-mount. It seems too un-hydrodynamic for me to try in our strong river currents.

SeaRat

Been looking at different horseshoe wings and hardness, the inflator is always fitted on the left. Could get a double wing, and disconnect on the left...

TM...

Left handed for all of 70 years...

Dive HP steel doubles/rebreather...standard configuration...

Inflator hoses are on left side...being left handed...I don't understand why you'd want to change it...

As has already been stated...once your kit is set up...the configuration remains static...and with doubles...you will be using both hands...

Your inflator/SPG...are on your left...both primary and secondary seconds fit from left to right and right to right...computer/light/dry-suit inflation is to your preference...

W...

I am probably 75.5% more left handed than you and I have no issues. Seriously, I once badly cut my left hand and it took me two days to learn to eat using my right.

interesting note , I can left hand hog and deep 6, exchange with your right hand feed

It doesn't matter, set it up however you're comfortable. You're not doing anything more precise than pushing a button. I'm seriously right handed, but I use both underwater. Yesterday I'm working a camera left hand, reach across and run the deflator with my right. Easy peasy. The only consideration would be emergencies and where your dive buddy can reasonably expect to find your controls if he/she or you are panicked.

I am left handed. Of course it matters! I’ve spent a ton of time customizing my gear! Maybe it won’t matter to you but it sure does to me! Try everything the “normal” way first, but there are lots of ways to customize...

I wear my air integrated hosed console and my backup watch computer on my right, because I want my left hand free to operate my inflator or to vent my wing on the left rear (favorite dump valve), while simultaneously looking at my computer for depth or ascent rate. I don’t understand why anyone would want those both on the same side, it makes no sense, yet it is standard.

I also like my left hand free to direct a dive light, or to make a hand signal, or to pick something up, or to use a knife or shears, or to do any number of things one might do with their dominant hand.

I wear my cutting implements on the right as I reach across to get them with my left hand, shears at waist near center ( so both hands can get), folding sailor’s rigging knife bungeed on web belt near right shoulder above D ring where console clips off.

I dremel cut a slot for a crotch strap on my James Bond era vintage orange colored “White Stag” brand plastic backpack plate, which snugs around my small torso better than any steel plate I’ve ever seen would, except possibly for a small Freedom plate.

My continuous web belt harness, to which I added small trim pockets for integrated weights, has a buckle mounted for left hand release.

To top it all off, despite reading numerous arguments against it, I love my trim, conveniently located Air2, which is attached to a wing. I did add a bungee loop from mouthpiece to left harness strap to keep it tucked, but a quick pull releases it. It feels great to have that Air2 right there so easily accessible to my left hand. Maybe it is right handers that dislike it so much? Practice taught me it is more comfortable to breathe off if I release the velcro loop at the left shoulder.

The frequently recommended option of another hose on the right with a reg bungeed around my neck does not appeal. I already have two hoses on the right, and one goes around my neck. I don’t want anything else on my neck. You see for air sharing I have changed my original short primary hose to a five foot hose that goes under my right arm, across the chest, and around behind the head to come to my mouth from the right, and this I would right hand deploy as is standard with a long hose.

I always explain my gear to a new buddy, if I have a buddy ;-)

By the way, to all who worry that a left hand release buckle will confuse a right handed buddy should they need to undo it, has it ever occurred to you that from the opposite side a left hand release is... a RIGHT hand release, exactly what they are used to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom