Zipper edges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FinnMom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hate the fuzzy edges of our drysuit zippers. I've tried trimming and burning, nothing stops it. Now our families 2 divers have 2 suits, both about 7 yrs old and the fabric is so darn close to the zipper it scares we every time I absolutely must trim loose fuzz. An Ursuit suit and a Waterproof suit if that matters.

Has anyone made a better zipper yet? One with and edge that doesn't fuzz and wear? If not i can't understand why not, geez it's the 21st century. I would happily change the zippers if I knew the problem would finally end.

You've got seven years out of a zipper? That's impressive!

Now I'm more depressed. Those things are expensive to replace.
Sorry to do that to you. Unfortunately, most active dry suit divers that I know don't even get 7 years out of a suit let alone a zipper. Brass and tizips are the only current options (ok, YKK Plastic) with brass zips lating typically around 200-300 dives depending on level of abuse. TiZips were supposed to last way longer but I've noticed alot of guys I dive with have issues with the plastic wishbone docking end of the zip develop a tear or crack. I think that's probably caused by stress put on the zip while they wear the suit unzipped and hanging around the waist for an hour or so in-between dives. If you typically take the suit right on before a dive and right off after you might not have that issue and TiZip might be a better option. I only know one person who had a TiZip "De-Rail" and that zip is toast of course.
If you're somewhat handy and can glue on a wrist or neck seal then putting your own zipper on is not that much more difficult and there are plenty of threads on this forum on how to. That'd save you about half the cost at least.

A friend recommended a cheaper source for changing the zipper and reported 400 dives and ongoing with a plastic zipper, no fuzzy edges. I'm going to give plastic a try.

If your zipper does not otherwise need replacing, instead of trimming the fuzz try smearing some seamgrip/aquaseal on the edges of the material to contain the fuzz and prevent from further fuzzing up.

-Z

I hate the fuzzy edges of our drysuit zippers. I've tried trimming and burning, nothing stops it. Now our families 2 divers have 2 suits, both about 7 yrs old and the fabric is so darn close to the zipper it scares we every time I absolutely must trim loose fuzz. An Ursuit suit and a Waterproof suit if that matters.

Has anyone made a better zipper yet? One with and edge that doesn't fuzz and wear? If not i can't understand why not, geez it's the 21st century. I would happily change the zippers if I knew the problem would finally end.

FM...

If you clean and lubricate the dry-zipper after each and every dive...and if you're in a ''seasonal'' location store it well lubricated for the winter...the top edge will not fray...it's the dry zipper top edge...abrading against the underside of the dry zipper slider which causes the fraying...

Trimming the fraying...especially attempting hot cauterizing will result in your zipper dropping a tooth...not so bad if you know you drop it before the dive...not so good if you drop it and find out during the dive...

No dry friction...no fraying...one of my suits has the original zipper...03-00...still like new...

I also have a suit with a Master T-Zip...but like the brass zipper it requires cleaning and lubrication of the docking link after every dive...

Or...you can spend $500. every few years for a new zipper...I like my way...

Best...

W...

Aqualseal is an interesting idea, thanks.

I religiously clean and wax the zipper after every dive. The zipper leaks in 2 places now so yeah, it needs to be replaced. I was just worried when I started this thread but now it's actually leaking. But then again, this zipper has seen a lot of dives so my luck wasn't all that bad.

Aqualseal is an interesting idea, thanks.

I religiously clean and wax the zipper after every dive. The zipper leaks in 2 places now so yeah, it needs to be replaced. I was just worried when I started this thread but now it's actually leaking. But then again, this zipper has seen a lot of dives so my luck wasn't all that bad.

seamgrip is similar but thinner and is typically brushed on...advertised to seal the seams on tents and rain flys....you may find it a better product for the application.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom