Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello fellow divers and travelers,

I have always been a person who likes to walk around and shop certain areas to find a dive center that I want to use, I always like to talk to staff and ask questions. I am looking for an area in Central America (Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, Honduras) that have areas with several dive centers and resorts in close proximity.

I just got back from and extended stay in Roatan and I really enjoyed the West End area where there were sixteen dive shops all within walking distance. This allowed me to shop around and go for a dew dives at different shops.

Are there any other places like this in Central America?? Thanks for your help.

Utila since just about everything there is in town and it's only about a mile long.

It's not Central America but there must be 6-8 dive operators based in Georgetown, Grand Cayman.3-4 of them work out of the Lobster Pot Dive Center building and I know of at least 2 other shops nearby. Prices are a lot higher there than CA

Roatab's West End is unique like that in my experience.

Possibly Cozumel in town but I've never been there.

Utila was ok. Meh in fact . Great reef and NO fish because there is a big fat fishing village there. Been a Roatan fan since the first time I visited 12 years ag . Now not so much. I hate cruise ships

San Pedro, on Ambergris Caye in Belize

I've heard good things about Bocos del Toro in Panama. I haven't done any diving in Panama, though.

I wasn't diving when I went to Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica, but we did enjoy the snorkeling. I believe a sloth sanctuary is near that area, too.

I've been to Bocas, but didn't dive whilst there. Yes, there were a few crazy places on the waterfront, so that might work. It's not known for its diving even though they have diving there.

I've heard good things about Bocos del Toro in Panama. I haven't done any diving in Panama, though.

I have dived Bocas del Toro many times, but not recently. There are three or four dive shops in Bocas Town and another on Bastimentos (nearby island). La Buga is best.

Most of the year, diving is shallow -- 15 to 60 feet. Before the lionfish arrived, I liked Bocas better than Roatan. There were greater numbers and varieties of fish and animals, and there were more species of coral and sponges than Grand Cayman. Between September and mid-November, the sea calms and you can go out to the barrier reef. The sites along the wall are deeper and offer more interesting reef architecture and larger animals.

My favorite dive Caribbean dive destination is Cozumel, and there are a lot of scuba shops there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom