Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put the tek belt on and two 5lb pockets on that belt and it suits me fine.

So, to clarify, you added small weight pockets to the travel harness/belt that comes with the hydros? May I ask which ones? I really want to leave the large weight pockets at home. I could use the trim pockets but there are a lot of times I dive with a 5mm and a 5/3 hooded vest under which requires more weight.

So, to clarify, you added small weight pockets to the travel harness/belt that comes with the hydros? May I ask which ones? I really want to leave the large weight pockets at home. I could use the trim pockets but there are a lot of times I dive with a 5mm and a 5/3 hooded vest under which requires more weight.

You didn't ask me, but I use these:

DGX Trim Weight Pocket {4 lb | 1.8 kg}

$10 each. They say they will hold up to 4# and that is what I have found. I can fit a 4# weight in one, but not a 5# (hard) weight. That is part of why I like them. They are fairly small. And only $10 each...

Not sure about what you could fit in them with soft weights.

Of course, you could fit more than one on each side of your waist belt, if you wanted/needed to...

I am not sure of the brand I used. There are a variety of pockets available that will holdd up to 5 lbs and fit on 2" webbing. I used a DGX webbing lock clip to hold each pocket in place. Scubapro offers them as well, but there is a price premium for the brand. If you need more weight, there are pockets that hold up to 10 lbs available from HOG and I think and at least one other company. There is also enough room on the waist strap that you could add another pocket or two if needed. XS Scuba makes a pocket that holds up to 5 lbs and attaches via velcro. It could be added when necessary and then quickly removed when not wanted. There are also trim weight pockets on the back of the BC. I know they hold up to 2 lbs and perhaps more.

I'm quite confused. The Scubapro Hydros is topend price-wise and seems to have some excellent qualities. To hear that divets aren't using the special weight pockets makes me question everything that I'd believed about the bcd so far

One of the 'features' of the BCD is that you have 2 main options when setting it up for diving. You can go with the harness configured with the plastic parts (color choices available) and ditch-able weight pockets OR you can take that off the BCD and use the included travel harness. This saves weight and space so if you need to travel with the minimum, or you like to dive with less around your waist, then this is a good option and sets the Hydros up more akin to a BP/W.

The question about weight pockets is because with the travel harness you now only have the two small weight pockets on the back of the BCD. This limits how much weight you can add, and is obviously not weight you will be dropping during a dive in an emergency. If you are diving in a rash guard or shorty, this may work for you (I need 4-6lb in a rash guard, so as long as I'm comfortable with not being able to drop weights, those two back pockets suffice). If you are diving with thick neoprene etc. and need more lead, then you could slide on a couple of pockets to the travel harness. Which pockets work well is what is being discussed. Obviously an alternative would be a weight belt, but some would rather have the pockets.

What would have been cool is if they had managed to design the included pockets in such a way that you could use them in the as-shipped-from-the-store configuration OR put them in a vertical/horizontal position on the travel harness!

I'm quite confused. The Scubapro Hydros is topend price-wise and seems to have some excellent qualities. To hear that divets aren't using the special weight pockets makes me question everything that I'd believed about the bcd so far

I wouldn't run tooo far with that. There were, what? 2 divers in this thread that said they don't use the Hydros weight pockets? Me and 1 other? I definitely would not take myself as an example of the typical diver using a Hydros.

My guess - and it's purely a guess - is that the vast majority of Hydros owners are using the weight pockets. And probably a lot of them are taking advantage of the little extras that ScubaPro offers that work with those weight pockets - i.e. the accessory attachments.

My goals are different, so my usage is different.

What would have been cool is if they had managed to design the included pockets in such a way that you could use them in the as-shipped-from-the-store configuration OR put them in a vertical/horizontal position on the travel harness!

The pockets themselves are still really big. I think they'll hold something like 10# of weight each.

To me, what would have been cool is if the travel waist belt included 2 smaller pockets (hold up to 5# in each) and some provision to put them on the waist belt where they would not slide around. But, I can see why they didn't do that. Probably almost nobody would use them, so it would drive up the cost for very little benefit. And, there are plenty of aftermarket options that will work and are cheap and easy for the customer to get and use.

+1 for travel harness.

Love it without the bulky integrated weight pockets, especially when you don't use any weights.

Different strokes for different folks, having the option to change the harness is awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom