Shearwater Desktop vs Shearwater Cloud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Cloud is good and bad. First, I would have thought that Shearwater would take a look at Diverlog, which is pretty much compatible with most DC's. Why reinvent the wheel? Diverlog worked well for me. Cloud does not need an internet connection to work. Cloud syncs flawlessly and easily with the Teric when I am on a dive boat and keeps track of everything quickly. You only need an internet connection to sync from your laptop or phone to the cloud to back up your data. But a couple of things irk me. First, entering dive notes is weird in that it is a tiny box on the side and you have to scroll down as you are writing to see what is being typed. Second, there appears to be no place to put a photo or video of the dive. I often liked to take a picture of the dive site from the briefing and stick that in the Diverlog for the dive. There also appears to be no way to delete the factory testing dives, which is not a huge deal but just a little annoying. Another somewhat annoying feature is that you have to enter your gear (if you track that sort of thing). I would prefer that, as in Diverlog, once use put your gear in once, it uses that gear by default for every dive. FYI, I could never get the Teric to work with Shearwater Desktop, as Desktop never recognized the Teric as an option! Overall, Cloud is a decent piece of free software, but like most free things, not perfect.

Oh crap. I just ordered a Perdix AI and it is to be delivered in a couple of days. I just ditched my old dive computer (another company) because they went all Cloud. Dear Shearwater, some of us REALLY HATE THE CLOUD!!!!! Please give us the option to have a desktop version. I’m really bummed to hear SW may do away with the desktop program. With my old dive computer, I stopped downloading my dives three years ago because of the stupid Cloud and have been keeping a written log. I was really excited about being able to go back to an electronic version with my new Perdix. Guess I need to buy new pens to continue with my old written log. THE CLOUD SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Oh crap. I just ordered a Perdix AI and it is to be delivered in a couple of days. I just ditched my old dive computer (another company) because they went all Cloud. Dear Shearwater, some of us REALLY HATE THE CLOUD!!!!! Please give us the option to have a desktop version. I’m really bummed to hear SW may do away with the desktop program. With my old dive computer, I stopped downloading my dives three years ago because of the stupid Cloud and have been keeping a written log. I was really excited about being able to go back to an electronic version with my new Perdix. Guess I need to buy new pens to continue with my old written log. THE CLOUD SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Maybe you misunderstand the way Shearwater uses the Cloud.
You upload your data from your dive computer to your device...phone, tablet, desktop, whatever, so long as you have Bluetooth LE. That's it; the Cloud is not involved...unless you want to share data between devices, or update your program or computer, in which case you need to talk to something other than your device.

So if you wish to not use the Cloud, that is your privilege, just don't share or update anything.

Maybe you misunderstand the way Shearwater uses the Cloud.
You upload your data from your dive computer to your device...phone, tablet, desktop, whatever, so long as you have Bluetooth LE. That's it; the Cloud is not involved...unless you want to share data between devices, or update your program or computer, in which case you need to talk to something other than your device.

So if you wish to not use the Cloud, that is your privilege, just don't share or update anything.
Thank you. Glad to hear that. As mentioned, I just ordered it yesterday so I haven’t received it yet. Thanks for the response.

Holy cow, I think I can sum up this thread in one simple image.

giphy.gif

Do you know of an app that is similar to MacDive but for an Android.

Nope. You could try Subsurface. It’s free, at least. I don’t like the user interface.

Though the interface of Subsurface is far from perfect, it has some features I badly miss in Cloud. Mostly the auto suggest feature of the Buddy and Location Fields. Most of my dives are with the same couple of buddies at the same couple of locations, haviong to enter them completely every time sucks. And I love the Webinterface that allows me to have a quick look at my dives from any computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom