What am I missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree on looking into getting a wet/drysuit. If you are not comfortable in your local waters then you are only limiting yourself to warmer waters that might not be easily accessible to you. If going wet, look into a 7mm or a semi-dry wetsuit.

Remember that the deeper you go the cooler the water. In Arkansas during the summer the surface temps will be pushing 90* but once you get down to 60'-80' and 90'+ the water temps will be in the low 50s.

First post, Just passed the PADI online course and will soon start pool work with an instructor. I’m over 50 and have wanted to learn this sport for many years.

I want to train with the kit I will use so I am trying to get well prepared before hitting the pool and the quarry.

Here is what I have so far, would like critique or suggestions on what I have and what I am missing.

BCD - Zeagle Ranger
First Stage - ScubaPro MK25 DIN
Second Stage - ScubaPro A700
Octo - ScubaPro - R195
Computer - Oceanic Pro Plus 3
Tank - 80cf Catalina AL
Fins - AquaLung Rocket
LittleBooties for Fins
Mask - ScubaPro Spectra
Snorkel - Cressi Alpha Ultra Dry
(8) two pound soft shot weight bags

I plan to take advanced courses after certification so I tried to buy flexible kit that would last.

Thanks for any help or advice.

HK...

Congratulations!!!...your adventure awaits...

A little late to the picnic...but...

Do some reading...learn ahead of time what your complete kit will consist of...so you have a good understanding...and clear idea of what you need...and do not need prior to shopping...

Going into a brick and mortar shop not knowing your needs is not adviseable...you'll end up spending far more than necessary...

Become familiar with temperature ratings on the various suit thicknesses as it relates to your local conditions...

Don't get over-loaded with trinkets and gadgets...some of these pieces are expensive...and have little practical value...

Shop slowly...and carefully...

Best...Dive Safe...

Warren

Thanks very much for the replies.

Yes, I plan on purchasing a 5mm wetsuit at the diveshop so I can try it on for fit. I have little booties, but forgot to add them, they're there now. I live in the North and am always cold, the reason for the 5mm. Are there disadvantages to the 5mm?

What is rashguard?
North? Where - and more importantly was is the expected water temp. I hear North and my first response is 5 mm won't cut it - you need 7 - but your idea of north and mine might be different. also - ocean? how much do you weigh? your 2 8# weight is likely not enough. Only 1 tank?

When I hear "kit" and "north" together, I tend to think "really really cold", like the North Sea or some such.
I dive generally warm-ish water, and still use mostly the "gear" I started with fresh out of Open Water 20 years ago. If it works in the pool, it'll work in the ocean, has been my experience, any reputable brand is going to be okay.
Most important is fit, and ease of use.

Best wishes.

Let me be specific, Great Lakes cold, not Arctic Circle cold.

Personally, I think Rocket Fins are some of the worst fins ever made--way too stiff. But if you like them then that's what really matters. If you are doing shore diving then I agree that a compass is necessary. I recently bought a 5mm super-stretch and it fits so well I'm thinking it might work better than my old, stiff, 1/4" Farmer John. I dove Catalina with a 3mm shorty under my 2.5mm full jumpsuit and didn't get cold. How far North are you? SMB? I've never used a diver's flag or SMB for shore diving in SoCal and don't see why I would need one. You might want to get some thicker booties eventually.

New diver as well. My Henderson 7 mm semi dry has been great. Check out dives water temperature was 49. My wife and I went back to the quarry we did our check out dives in where the temp was 50 at 30 feet.

I wore 3mm Henderson body suit for confined water dives. I got cold. Water temp was low 70s. I now have a 5mm Henderson aqualock wetsuit for warmer dives and pool dives. I might even bring that with me to Jamaica.

From what I understand, a wetsuit will never keep you too warm in the water but not enough wetsuit will allow you to be cold.

5mm won’t cut it for Great Lakes cold. You need a good 7mm or a semi-dry. I know what I’m talking about, as I only dive the Great Lakes or the quarries.

I had 41F at 128ft on a recent dive in Lake Michigan, off Port Washington, WI. I was diving dry, but a regular buddy, who usually has no issues with the cold in his AL semi dry, froze his balls off. He’s drysuit certified but doesn’t have one due to finances. He rented a drysuit for our Straits of Mackinac trip this past weekend. He now is saving up his pennies for a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom