Planning First Trip to Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys, glad to see some current info about Catalina. I'm sailing out there over the 4th of July and will be on the island for 2 full days on the 3rd and 4th. I'm considering diving there (like to dive anytime I can since based in DFW away from the ocean), however I'm concerned about the water temp. Just got back from French Polynesia where I enjoyed nice 85deg water :). Ridiculously nice...

Anyway, looking over sea temp charts, it appears that June-July surface temps are in the mid 60's with thermoclines dropping down to 50's around 30-50ft. Is this accurate for Catalina? I am not drysuit certified, and frankly hope I don't have to be because I would much rather be in 70-80 deg water haha. However, seeing the kelp forest and running into a friendly seal would be pretty sweet, so I might be convinced. So without a drysuit (5mm or 7mm plus hooded vest??), I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking gear and trying it.

Thoughts?

You're not going to get 80 degree water. You might luck out and get surface temps in the low 70s, but mid-to-high 60s are more likely, with a slight drop in temperature as you go down. (I don't think it's quite accurate to refer to it as a thermocline.) You'll want a 7mm wetsuit, which you can rent from the dive shops there along with a hood, gloves, and any other gear you need. (I'm kind of a wuss and I survived getting certified in 63 degree water with no hood or gloves. I'll probably get a drysuit eventually but it's not at the top of my list of priorities.) You can also fill a thermos with hot water in your hotel room to pour into your suit before you get in the water. It won't be French Polynesia, but you'll be OK.

Thanks for the comments - I'm going to go for it! 7mm rental sounds good (haven't ever needed one that thick before though!). I have a 2mm hooded vest which worked well with a 3mm full suit for my rescue training in a lake here in Dallas a couple months ago. Mid-High 60's water I think.

Good idea with the thermos of hot water, haha. We've taken hot water bottles with us on safari in the early mornings when it's very chilly out.

I was supposed to be diving there tomorrow, but there was a family emergency which cancelled my trip. We'll re-plan for the future, though.

Thanks for the comments - I'm going to go for it! 7mm rental sounds good (haven't ever needed one that thick before though!). I have a 2mm hooded vest which worked well with a 3mm full suit for my rescue training in a lake here in Dallas a couple months ago. Mid-High 60's water I think.

Good idea with the thermos of hot water, haha. We've taken hot water bottles with us on safari in the early mornings when it's very chilly out.

My wife and I dove Monterey Bay a few years ago. We were in drysuits in the 48F / 9C water, including the DM tour guide, but he refused to wear gloves. He used the thermos of hot water to warm his hands between dives.

If you're diving off CA in a wetsuit, I highly recommend you get some 5mm neoprene socks. They'll help plus make it easier to get on thick wetsuits and more padding for walking on rocks.

Back
Top Bottom