Best Mix VS Standard Gasses (split from a GUE fundies course report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mean, you've gotta justify the purchase somehow. :wink:

Hehe I like that argument. Not what I meant and truly not my intention but I would agree that its probably often the case.

To me, CCR allows you to run far distances with relatively low weight for each additional dive as long as you dont use your bailout. And- its simply much more comfortable and in my opinion much easier diving in terms of logistics. Further, my CCR allows me to change my diveplan and divert from a runtime as long the BO is in limit- this is often the greatest motivator to me.

However- I dont mean to hijack this topic...

I mean, you've gotta justify the purchase somehow. :wink:

I promise you, I’m not diving my CCR because “*sigh* I paid a lot of money for that. *groan* I guess I better use it....” :D

Hehe I like that argument. Not what I meant and truly not my intention but I would agree that its probably often the case.

I promise you, I’m not diving my CCR because “*sigh* I paid a lot of money for that. *groan* I guess I better use it....” :D

Haha, I know...just poking fun.

Ha ha! :) I did! Want to, that is.

But, I realized recently that since I'm diving CCR now and trying not to dive OC at all - certainly not any Tech on OC anymore - I think that Fundies is really not a good way for me to spend my time and money.

If I did take Fundies at this point, the only real point would be to learn and improve my OC skills and knowledge, and get a Tech pass, which affirms to me that I genuinely did demonstrate the requisite skills and knowledge. Now that I have learned that my current thinking would likely be deemed "not the right mindset" to receive a Tech pass, and the various GUE people here have not convinced me that I should limit myself to 100' without helium or 32% when shallower, I am highly doubtful that actually taking Fundies would have any different result. So, with this latest info, I am pretty convinced now that Fundies simply is not a good fit for me and my future plans.

If GUE starts to offer a Fundies for CCR (that would allow a rEvo), then I might consider it. :D

In the meantime, I will spend my time and money advancing my training (and, hopefully, my skills and knowledge) with my rEvo instructor.

Fair enough. Then just do the course for the trim and buoyancy advice, open your ears and you may like what the instructor has to say. They might “open” your mind lol.

I mean, you definitely seem like you’re interested. And about the mindset thing, there’s no scuba police, you don’t have to dive like that after. Just do it if you can.

Ha ha! :) I did! Want to, that is.

But, I realized recently that since I'm diving CCR now and trying not to dive OC at all - certainly not any Tech on OC anymore - I think that Fundies is really not a good way for me to spend my time and money.

If I did take Fundies at this point, the only real point would be to learn and improve my OC skills and knowledge, and get a Tech pass, which affirms to me that I genuinely did demonstrate the requisite skills and knowledge. Now that I have learned that my current thinking would likely be deemed "not the right mindset" to receive a Tech pass, and the various GUE people here have not convinced me that I should limit myself to 100' without helium or 32% when shallower, I am highly doubtful that actually taking Fundies would have any different result. So, with this latest info, I am pretty convinced now that Fundies simply is not a good fit for me and my future plans.

If GUE starts to offer a Fundies for CCR (that would allow a rEvo), then I might consider it. :D

In the meantime, I will spend my time and money advancing my training (and, hopefully, my skills and knowledge) with my rEvo instructor.

I think you're missing the point of fundamentals.

What is the point? If he has no interest in diving in the DIR/GUE mindset, or using the specified standardized training that I understand to be a pillar of "DIR"( I know that term is falling out favor)...what is the point?

That's not meant to be snarky btw, it's an actual question. I occasionally get asked to explain what DIR is when the topic comes up, until recently I was diving a single tank halcyon rig that would have passed muster for GUE (if I set another back mount rig up for backup, It will be the same)of DIR or tech in general by friends or dive partners whom have never been around anything but rental gear, I'd like to know I'd not missed the mark on explaining things.

What is the point? If he has no interest in diving in the DIR/GUE mindset, or using the specified standardized training that I understand to be a pillar of "DIR"( I know that term is falling out favor)...what is the point?

That's not meant to be snarky btw, it's an actual question. I occasionally get asked to explain what DIR is when the topic comes up, until recently I was diving a single tank halcyon rig that would have passed muster for GUE (if I set another back mount rig up for backup, It will be the same)of DIR or tech in general by friends or dive partners whom have never been around anything but rental gear, I'd like to know I'd not missed the mark on explaining things.

complain and try to argue "your ways" are better? I wont call them best mix because air at 135 isnt it

@stuartv,

Have you read this article? Density Discords: Understanding and Applying Gas Density Research

It is excellent and I think it explains the rationale behind GUE's standard gasses. Let's also not forget is that GUE divers often have more strenuous dives than the average vacation diver following a dive guide.

Also, regardless of being on a CCR, if you are teaching at the recreational level, GUE fundies (or UTD Essentials) is an absolute must. Who cares if you earn a tech pass? The point is you will improve as a diver and an instructor as well. Money well spent in my opinion.

@stuartv,

Have you read this article? Density Discords: Understanding and Applying Gas Density Research

It is excellent and I think it explains the rationale behind GUE's standard gasses. Let's also not forget is that GUE divers often have more strenuous dives than the average vacation diver following a dive guide.

Also, regardless of being on a CCR, if you are teaching at the recreational level, GUE fundies (or UTD Essentials) is an absolute must. Who cares if you earn a tech pass? The point is you will improve as a diver and an instructor as well. Money well spent in my opinion.

Aside from the team chanting, wouldn’t it maybe be better to breathe gas that was dive appropriate verses what some chart said and for that matter, dive within your budget.

Being an instructor, what’s the gain of taking fundies??

I see OW students in rental BCs, not DIR rigs. There’s enough going on and adding to the confusion I don’t believe helps anything.

Is it to be in better trim? I’ve seen the whole range of instructors and their diving abilities....there’s more than one that need to get outa the pool and dive more but that’s rare.

GUE fits some areas of diving, the problem is that a lot of diving and divers don’t fit what GUE preaches.

Aside from the team chanting, wouldn’t it maybe be better to breathe gas that was dive appropriate verses what some chart said and for that matter, dive within your budget.

Being an instructor, what’s the gain of taking fundies??

I see OW students in rental BCs, not DIR rigs. There’s enough going on and adding to the confusion I don’t believe helps anything.

Is it to be in better trim? I’ve seen the whole range of instructors and their diving abilities....there’s more than one that need to get outa the pool and dive more but that’s rare.

GUE fits some areas of diving, the problem is that a lot of diving and divers don’t fit what GUE preaches.

You would learn the rationale behind the chart in a Tech 1 class. It's based on END and EADD. The reasoning isn't arbitrary and anyone who's taken a T1 class should understand why the guidelines are structured the way they are. If you can't afford the appropriate gear, gas, and training to go into an environment safely, don't do it. Diving within your budget also means understanding the limits of what you can afford.

Ken Sallot recently took Fundies. Ask him. Or better yet, read his course writeup here: Signed up for Fundamentals

What areas of diving does GUE not fit? I'll concede that certain things they teach are overkill for basic vacation diving, but I don't know of a single type of dive a GUE trained diver with the appropriate certifications couldn't do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom