Redundant Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My backup is an older model from the same manufacturer but running the same algorithm. My primary is a Perdix AI and my backup is a Petrel. Both are setup exactly the same to be running the same algorithm. When diving recreationally my backup is in my pocket. When diving tec I wear them both on my wrist so that I can do the gas switches on both computers.

For NDL dives I just dive one computer, but for anything that requires mandatory deco I'll take down a Petrel and a Bottom Timer with custom tables for backup.

I have noticed my backup (Aeris Manta) to seem to creep up more when doing multiple dives (3-4) than my Perdix. With my plan of getting into tech diving next year I am curious as to what people are running as a back up. Been debating on getting an older Shearwater as my backup.

I have noticed my backup (Aeris Manta) to seem to creep up more when doing multiple dives (3-4) than my Perdix. With my plan of getting into tech diving next year I am curious as to what people are running as a back up. Been debating on getting an older Shearwater as my backup.
What does creep up more mean?

I dive with an Oceanic Pro Plus 3 as my primary computer. When I am in Cozumel I add an Oceanic Veo 200 as a backup computer. No real need for a redundant computer at home, as the dive is usually a single shore dive. Should my computer fail during a dive, I can use my buddy's computer as a backup, as we are almost identical on air. Should it fail prior to a dive, then my dive for that day is aborted. When I am in Cozumel, I am doing multiple dives over multiple days, so if one fails, I do not have to miss any dives or "start at zero".

Divegoose

Petrel1 re-purposed as a back-up to Pedrix AI...

Before that, my Cochran EMC20 (now my wife's computer) was used to back up the Petrel1 as it represented the "lost deco gas" scenario....

I was told it's a little glitch in it's algorithms.

:rofl3: I guess now I know why my Leo's manual says that "air" setting is equivalent to 21% nitrox.

I don't suppose you have a 2nd zoop to dive them side-by-side and verify?

:rofl3: I guess now I know why my Leo's manual says that "air" setting is equivalent to 21% nitrox.

I don't suppose you have a 2nd zoop to dive them side-by-side and verify?

I don't, and I don't intend to, either. I think there are a lot of people on here that might have two Zoops, though.

The owner of InDepth Water Sports in GCM was the one that told me about how the nitrox setting fools the computer into being a little more liberal. He is a whole lot more knowledgeable than me (not hard), and I took him at his word. I know I had gotten into deco a couple of times with the Zoops when my air consumption was greater than it is now. I haven't had a problem since, and my air consumption is better. I'm still not like the folks that have gills, but I am staying down deeper longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom