Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just went on a snorkel trip this morning and there was current. I didn't feel that I was quite as prepared physically as I've felt in the past but, then again, I'm getting older. I'm still swimming a mile 2x/wk but not with fins which create more resistance in the water to provide more propulsion. Should I add fin training to my pool work or just work harder in my regular swims? Is it an aerobic training question or more of a strength training issue? I'm guessing both come into play.

Personally, I swim about 1/2 mile about 3-4 times a week and I feel like I'm in good enough shape (for an old guy anyway). Your idea of swimming with fins certainly couldn't hurt plus you'd be using the same muscles as when you are snorkeling. For me, I think I get enough swimming with fins while diving, although sometimes it can be a couple of months between dive trips. If I was using stiffer fins then I'd probably work out with them inbetween times, but I use ScubaPro Lightning Jet Fins and it seems like my legs are always ready for them :)

It was just my perception but I'm still going to train harder regardless. Father Time has the upper hand so I just need to try harder to keep up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom