Smaller mouthpiece for my regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the exact same issue. I tried several different pieces and the opening was too large and I could never get them to flow correctly. I now use a scubapro standard mouth piece and I am very happy and no issues.

Should I try the small or standard do people think?
oh meant to ask, besides if I should try the small or regular size, if anyone knows if both would fit on my Atomic second stage? Thanks all. (This gag thing was pretty weird and was worried a little that it could really mess up my diving. good to know I have things to try)!

Had similar gagging problems 20 years ago with multiple USD comfobite mouthpieces
Solution was to cut a small portion (about a 1/16") off the lower portion of the tabs that are under your lower teeth using a pair of fingernail scissors.
Basicly just reshaping the lower tabs in order to make them a bit smaller.

Michael

Solution was to cut a small portion (about a 1/16") off the lower portion of the tabs that are under your lower teeth using a pair of fingernail scissors.
Basicly just reshaping the lower tabs in order to make them a bit smaller.

Michael
Michael, do you mean ~1/16th of the tab in the back of the mouth?

@BoatingDave

I just switched to the "standard" size comfo-bite and am quite pleased. Less jaw fatigue and very secure (lots of coughing on a 40 minute hover @55o due to throat irritation). I switched from the long Edge/HOG mouthpieces, and while they did not cause gagging for me, the were close. My guess is that a small comfo-bite might be too small for most average adults.

I don't know where you are exactly, but Northeast Scuba Supply (off of Germantown Pike, 10 min WNW of route 202) has them on the shelf so you can see it in person (Northeast Scuba Supply Store - Search Results for "comfo-bite").

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom