Dive Op help - first timer on GC, arriving by cruise ship - ugh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I will be on Grand Cayman - Gerogetown for the first time, plus, I am arriving by cruise ship (first time on a cruise as well - not my choice but dictated by family/non-diver situation).

Royal Caribbean - Liberty of the Seas. The cruise schedule shows that we will port at 10 AM and depart at 6 PM; July 3, 2019. I'm bypassing the ship's shore excursion package cuz they have no specific info on the dive op (plus I missed the discount). Without discount it's U$158 for two dives and equipment (without wetsuit - which is odd to me. Do they assume our skin doesn't need environment protection and is the water 98.6 F? I digress.)

With the above times, I'm guessing I'll be limited to a two tank afternoon dive. I'm assuming most dive boats leave early in the morning, so I will probably miss out on those boats.

I'm looking for a dive op that:

1) Picks up/drop offs from the Royal Caribbean dock
2) Can ensure my return well before 6 pm if the Dive Op goes to the north side - most important criteria!!
(I've seen youtube videos of cruise passengers standing on the dock watching their ship move away from the dock - not interested in experiencing that)
3) minimum divers, maybe 6 pax to 10 pax - no cattle boats
4) take me to a wall dive (looks like Royal Caribbean's port is on the west side and many here seem to think the north side diving is better than the west side diving) - related to no.2 above

I have read one of the more recent threads regarding dive ops. These are the ops that thread listed - do any of these ops not pick up/drop off at the Royal Caribbean port?

Indigo Divers
Indepth Watersports
DNS Divers
Cayman Univ Divers
Off the Wall
Stingray Watersports
Living the Dream (I like the name of this shop!)
Divetech
Wall to Wall
LTD
Red Sail

Thanks
Roy

I am involved with an op that leaves from Lobster Pot. A number of your list does. Some only do a 1T in the afternoon. Most of our customers dive in the morning (do family stuff in afternoon) so teaching,DSDs, etc fill afternoon time. You might find it difficult to find some who will go out for a pm 2T for only one diver. Personally I think you will find good walls on the west side. North may be unlikely from a time standpoint. You tender not dock here. Many of the dive ops are literally a couple of minutes walk from the cruise terminal and the traffic is awful so a couple minutes walk suits most guests. Better than sitting in a traffic jam and missing the boat! Pricing is fairly even across the board. For instance for a one day only we charge $120 and gear is $25. Few people want a shortie but if they do it is included. Rather than asking here how an specific op handles pick up you should contact them directly. Things change so what happened to someone a month ago may have no bearing on what happens when you are here. Everyone will be back before 6pm unless it is a night dive. The guys start pretty early in the morning and after the guests leave still have gear, a boat, tanks etc to take care of. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks caydiver! I was hoping to shorten the list based upon drop off/pick up. Thats nice to hear that dive shops are within walking distance of the terminal.

Hopefully I can find a dive op that will take me and my dive buddy sister out for a 2T afternoon dive and possibly to the north side.

Thanks for the verbiage info - tender vs dock.

@rypark1999 Hi Roy,

I can personally vouch for DNS and Wall to Wall, I think they meet your criteria. Dusty at DNS, and Giles at Wall to Wall, are both top notch. As per Caydriver, above, I would email them and ask what they can do with your limited visit to Grand Cayman. It is very unlikely you will get out to the north wall, the west side has many fantastic dives.

Very best and good diving,

Craig

@rypark1999 Hi Roy,

I can personally vouch for DNS and Wall to Wall, I think they meet your criteria. Dusty at DNS, and Giles at Wall to Wall, are both top notch. As per Caydriver, above, I would email them and ask what they can do with your limited visit to Grand Cayman. It is very unlikely you will get out to the north wall, the west side had many fantastic dives.

Very best and good diving,

Craig

So sad to hear its unlikely to get out to the north wall. But any time underwater is better no time underwater.

So sad to hear its unlikely to get out to the north wall. But any time underwater is better no time underwater.
The west side has great dives, Orange Canyon, Big Tunnel, Trinity Caves... Beggars can't be choosers, make the best of your visit. Return another time to get in the best of north or east end.

Consider ditching your signature devil

The west side has great dives, Orange Canyon, Big Tunnel, Trinity Caves... Beggars can't be choosers, make the best of your visit. Return another time to get in the best of north or east end.

Consider ditching your signature devil

Most definitely - once the my little ones are older and out of the house - I'll definitely be looking into a dedicated dive trip to the Caymans.

Yeah, I guess I should ditch the flaming devil. I put it on there when I was much younger and single.

Thanks for the info!!

Back
Top Bottom