GUE Fundamentals Class Report (22 APR 2019)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all thanks for the insights John. I understand the value of standard gases and team procedures etc. How do you feel about someone who upholds GUE core principles while diving within GUE dive team? If the same person chooses to dive to 130 ft without Helium as is done by many TDI divers, or chooses to dive with an air integrated dive computer set on best mixes in his own time, while not being within GUE team, would that indicate to you that he does not have the correct mindset?

Air to 130ft, yes, indicates the wrong mindset.
Air integrated, irrelevant
Best mix, if you so wish, it's more work frankly than sticking to standard gases.

Air to 130ft, yes, indicates the wrong mindset.

So when diving in a locale where He is't available, no diving??

Air integrated, irrelevant
What does that mean, irrelevant so don't use it or what?

Best mix, if you so wish, it's more work frankly than sticking to standard gases.
What is the "wisdom" behind using a single mix and not using best mix, or close to it, if it is available and the diver is willing to mix it?

So when diving in a locale where He is't available, no diving??

What does that mean, irrelevant so don't use it or what?

What is the "wisdom" behind using a single mix and not using best mix, or close to it, if it is available and the diver is willing to mix it?
I was asked a direct question as to my opinion on certain situations, I answered. Life's too short to argue about it.

to the OP, this is really a great writeup and makes me look back fondly overall to my fundies experience (I say overall, as there were some things outside of anyone's control, like my back hurting me big time and having my zipper fail, making me miss one dive).

I have no problems admitting that I was a pain in the A to my instructor, questioning everything. "But, but....". Here is my take after stepping back. GUE provides a solid system for difficult dives (caves, deep), so there is strong emphasis on the team. They want a consistent mindset where all the skills/practices are maintained even during recreational system.

I consider myself a GUE influenced diver. I'm grateful for the skills that I acquired. Best skills course I took by a longshot (#2 is very distant, all the rest had high cost / benefit ratios). But I don't have their exact mindset when I dive recreationally. For tech, I'm all in for standard gasses, but I dive sidemount. To me, GUE fundies is a standard to which classes should be taught: clear objective (and challenging) standards with high value.

Being a thinking diver is a key principle of diving. There are several good principles in diving. GUE has put together a good list and trains to it. Thinking divers often debate and argue about tradeoffs between various principles in any specific situation. Being a thinking diver likely comes ahead of a lot of the other principles.

Standard gasses, 3 person teams, etc, are good principles. We may well have talked about there being other good principles for gases and teams. But I wouldn't argue that they're not good principles. Teaching and ensuring understanding of them is a good idea.

Saying 'I've a tech Fundies pass' conveys that my basics are generally squared away to a known high standard. Doing that with videos takes a painful long movie night. Not really the same thing. Self evaluation and honesty is good, but subject to "I'm the best non-famous diver I've seen."

3 person teams are good practice? Wow, the "rules" do sure change with time. I remember when 3 person teams were bad practice. (But I'm not GUE)

3 person teams are good practice? Wow, the "rules" do sure change with time. I remember when 3 person teams were bad practice. (But I'm not GUE)

The emphasis being on "team" rather than 3 divers who may or may not be diving close together.
2 or 3 person teams have always been good practice with GUE. An actual 2 or 3 person team of competent, reliable, proficient divers maintaining an effective formation allowing situational awareness, good communication and proximity. One of the team resources besides redundant equipment is access to the team brain. In other words, a diver who could be in a stressful situation has 1 or 2 reliable divers right there to assist in solving a problem.

3 person teams are doable, but imo not as efficient as 2 person teams.

All things considered, I prefer two man teams.

The emphasis being on "team" rather than 3 divers who may or may not be diving close together.
2 or 3 person teams have always been good practice with GUE. An actual 2 or 3 person team of competent, reliable, proficient divers maintaining an effective formation allowing situational awareness, good communication and proximity. One of the team resources besides redundant equipment is access to the team brain. In other words, a diver who could be in a stressful situation has 1 or 2 reliable divers right there to assist in solving a problem.

OK, I'm just saying that the mantra used to be no 3 person teams.

See PfcAJ's post. He's probably old school :wink:

OK, I'm just saying that the mantra used to be no 3 person teams.

See PfcAJ's post. He's probably old school :wink:

RSTC agencies such as PADI, SSI, SDI train you to be a good buddy. DIR agencies such as GUE/UTD train you to be a good team member. For technical diving, I prefer 3 person team. Each team member carries enough gas to bring himself and one out of air diver to the nearest gas source. If you have 2 buddies instead of one buddy then that is your back up to your back up. The skills and core values we learn to dive in a team can also work in a buddy system.

RSTC agencies such as PADI, SSI, SDI train you to be a good buddy. DIR agencies such as GUE/UTD train you to be a good team member. For technical diving, I prefer 3 person team. Each team member carries enough gas to bring himself and one out of air diver to the nearest gas source. If you have 2 buddies instead of one buddy then that is your back up to your back up. The skills and core values we learn to dive in a team can also work in a buddy system.

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I'm saying that from the time I began diving, 3 person buddy teams were frowned upon but obviously, that position has morphed over the years.

Back
Top Bottom