Malapascua In July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MARK1992

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like July isn't a good month to be visiting Malapascua, with many operators offering "low season discounts". I'm not too bothered about the rain - I'm going to be wet anyway. Unless it's so bad they cancel trips.

Any opinions on whether it's worth visiting or try again at the end of the year?

The low season is all the way to Nov if not later.
Rain is NOT the reason, typhoon is. But typhoon does not struck Philippines everyday and the country is quite spread out.
A plan B would be useful just in case.

The low season is all the way to Nov if not later.
Rain is NOT the reason, typhoon is. But typhoon does not struck Philippines everyday and the country is quite spread out.
A plan B would be useful just in case.
Plan B for diving? Other activities or the entire trip?

Seems like July isn't a good month to be visiting Malapascua, with many operators offering "low season discounts". I'm not too bothered about the rain - I'm going to be wet anyway. Unless it's so bad they cancel trips.

Any opinions on whether it's worth visiting or try again at the end of the year?

July is a great month to visit - people are offering discounts because it's traditionally not as busy, and there's a lot of competition for the fewer tourists. But the conditions are almost always great. It will rain a bit most days, but not all day, and the rest of the time it will be sunny and flat with low winds and low diver numbers at the sites.

The traditional "low season" is changing and we are seeing more and more people choose June thru September to visit as the conditions are good and it's less crowded.

Nov-Feb are windy, rainy and relatively "cold".

Enjoy your trip whichever you decide!

Plan B for diving? Other activities or the entire trip?
There is no need to change the plan but just prepare to go to somewhere else if the weather is unfavourable eg. Bohol, Dumaguete or Moalboal.
I like "low season" because the resort tends not to ask for deposit. Private transfer is the exception unless they really trust you.
Fly into Cebu City and see "where the wind blow". I still remember the song by Bob Dylan!!!

Cebu City can offer you lots of variety, just watch the weather reports before and during the trip.
I did dive Malapascua in July couple of years ago. I think it rained most days for an hour in the afternoon. Didn't effect my diving. And it was my nap time. The wind can blow hard that's when dives got cancelled due to big waves.

Back
Top Bottom